Motorola RAZR hands-on: First look
When the original Motorola RAZR came out in 2004 it turned the mobile world upside down with its slim profile and impressive design. Motorola sold more than 50 million units of the device, which makes it the all time best-selling clamshell. However, Motorola didn't quite manage to continue riding the enormous wave of success which the RAZR set and inevitably lost momentum.
Now though, the RAZR name is back. This time around the Motorola RAZR doesn't come in the clamshell form factor, but it sure has all the charisma and power to become as huge a success as its predecessor.
Just look at that specs sheet:
Motorola RAZR at a glance:
- General: GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900, UMTS 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100, HSDPA 14.4 Mbps, HSUPA 5.76 Mbps
- Form factor: Touchscreen bar phone
- Dimensions: 130.7 x 68.9 x 7.1 mm
- Weight: 127 g
- Display: 4.3" 16M-color qHD (540 x 960 pixels) Super AMOLED Advanced capacitive touchscreen; multi-touch input, Gorilla Glass
- Platform: 1.2 GHz dual-core Cortex-A9 CPU, PowerVR SGX540 GPU, TI OMAP 4430 chipset
- RAM: 1GB
- OS: Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread
- Memory: 16GB storage, microSD card slot
- Camera: 8 megapixel auto-focus camera with face detection, touch focus and geotagging; Full HD (1080p) video recording at 30fps, LED flash, F/2.4 lens; 1.3MP front facing camera
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0, standard microUSB port, GPS receiver with A-GPS, GLONASS, 3.5mm audio jack, microHDMI port
- Misc: Built-in accelerometer, proximity sensor
As you can plainly see the Motorola RAZR isn't anything short of an Android smartphone powerhouse. There's just so much to like about it and we can't really see any deal-breakers.
Starting with the glorious 4.3-inch qHD Super AMOLED Advanced display, going through its super slim waistline and ending with the extraordinary materials used for its body - the RAZR is definitely a head-turner. And it has the performance to match those looks, too.
Okay, with that out of the way, let's go straight to the Motorola RAZR hardware inspection.