Amazon Fire HD 10 (2017)

Amazon Fire HD 10 (2017)

this tablet's os is lockdown, would not recommend, unless you don't mind paying less for a locked os

• Daredevil

Can i use 256 GB micro sd cards with it?

• Shajeeb

Enable the phone's function.

i have this tablet, but i think you forgot to list the specs for amazon fire hd tablets 2019

Anonymous, 10 Dec 2019How do you get play store on it? Is it hard gor dummies??This is the tutorial I used to install the Play store on my Fire 7 (2019), it should be the same process for Fire HD 10. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/amp/

• an1

sausanni, 15 Nov 2019HI, can you down load programmes on the BBC iplayer app to ... moreYes. :-) You can choose 32Gb or 64Gb.

How do you get play store on it? Is it hard gor dummies??

• sausanni

HI, can you down load programmes on the BBC iplayer app to watch at a later date OFFLINE

• David

Is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

I bought this tablet during Christmas 2017. After about 1 and a half years of use, here's my verdict on it.

TL;DR - Display? Good, crispy. OS? Perfectly fine if you don't use many apps or use Amazon's services a lot. Not good if you use Google a lot. Hardware? Thick, plastic, durable. Keep in a case. Cameras? Horrible. Battery? Mediocre. Performance? Meh, it'll do for most, but not good for power users. Final verdict: Good value, but for a little more $$$ you can get a better tablet.

Display: The display is really nice for this price point. It gets reasonable bright, and is all around good. My only problem with this display though is that the whites are leaning more toward the warmer side. My 2017 Kindle Fire 7 has better calibrated whites than this.

OS: I don't like this OS one bit. For people into Amazon's services, it's completely fine, but I personally use many Google apps, and those aren't available on Fire tablets because of a different app store. To counteract this, I sideloaded the Google play store. You could also tinker with it a bit more and root it if you want. The ads and special offers aren't very welcomed either, but it's a cost saving measure, so I can understand why Amazon does this.

Hardware:
-Build quality: It's plastic, and is kind of creaky when you press it on, but not a big deal. I warn you to keep it in a case or it will have dozens of small scratches in no time.
-Thickness: 9.8mm... really thick for a tablet in this age. Although, I think it helps it more than takes away from it, and you'll see why when you read below this.
-Durability: This is one of the main reasons why you should buy one. It's also why parents love this tablet for children. All I can say is that this is the Nokia of tablets. I've dropped it multiple times and it hasn't cracked. There is also a raised lip around the entire screen that protrudes quite a bit, which I think is a really smart addition. However, the scuffs on the edges can be very unsightly (if you drop it), but not a big deal.

Performance: Uses a Mediatek chip. If you're not tech savvy, it'll be fine for web browsing and basic to moderate games. Try to do more powerful things like extremely graphical games, it'll slow down a lot.

Battery: The battery is mediocre. Not sure if it's my poor charging habits, but I have to keep it on power saver all the time to preserve its battery. For most it'll probably be fine, though.

Camera: The cameras on this are bad. Front and back. If Amazon isn't going to improve these cameras, please just remove them all together. It'll be a cheaper tablet, and will shift money towards more valuable aspects of it (Battery, screen, performance, ect.)

The future: I plan to trade this in when Amazon releases the new version of this, but I could see this lasting all the way up till possibly 2021 in terms of usability, but past that it'll be nearly impossible.

Final verdict: The Amazon Fire HD 10 is a great value tablet, with many added features to this generation that make it very worthwhile, especially if you are heavily invested into Amazon's services. Should you buy this tablet? Yes, but if you have a little more money to spare, there are vastly better options from Samsung and Apple.

• Dhak

No , it has gps advantage too.

• Diamondd

Superb tablet. Under half the price of any iPad & this tablet performs amazingly well indeed!! Great screen, long battery life, micro ad storage options & it's very quick too. Great value!!

• bullhead520

Mn050711, 24 Sep 2017It's clearly not meant to compete with an iPad. The iPad is... moreBut I bet your Corolla will last longer and not cost as much to run

I know I usually don't like Amazon's tablet's or phones, but I really don't like this one. I feel like this is supposed to be their alternative to the iPad Pro. I think they could have put more power into this tablet because of its size, but the display and processor is disappointing. On the other hand, it's only about 120 dollars on Amazon, so it is good for the money, but I still wouldn't recommend it.

Once you put Google play store, Nova launcher and Launcher hijack (To run Nova),you have a really good device for the money

@algar1931, 18 Apr 2018Hi I wanted to conect this to my personal hotspot on an IPh... moreHi, It is possible to use this brilliant tablet using your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot, I do it every day travelling to and from work on our tram system. Mine works really well, a lot faster than the free Wi-Fi on our trams! Follow the instructions that tell you how to connect another device to the internet using your phone as an hotspot, it isn't complicated at all.

Navynuke, 09 Jun 2018Wow! I'm guessing you haven't actually tried one, since you... moreWell said! 😃👍👏 I too am neither poor nor rich, but I know bloody good value for money when I see it... I have only recently escaped the clutches of the cult of the bitten piece of fruit, when it comes to tablets that is, I love my iPh*ne and you will have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers to take it away from me! 😆 I am so happy with my 32 GB Fire HD 10 (2017) that I have bought the 64 GB version as my "away from home" device... I am looking forward to many hours of playful (and hopefully constructive) pleasure with my newly acquired "Marine Blue" friends! Hopefully more & more people will think for themselves and ignore the sometimes almost vitriolic comments about what is a bloody good piece of tech (and that because of it's sensible price gives less affluent people the chance to join the world of tablet computers, I have to applaud Amazon for making that possible, putting aside their abhorrent attitude to paying tax aside of course... 👎😠).

When it comes to tablet computers I have only just escaped the cult that is represented by the bitten piece of fruit logo... After many hours of reading and watching online reviews of the various alternative tablets on the market I decided to ignore some of the very negative (and quite often vitriolic comments) about the Fire HD 10 2017 (7th Generation) tablet and take the plunge and buy one via amazon.co.uk. I am so bloody glad I did! I took on board both the positive & negative views I read and heard about this tablet but having been raised to be able to think for myself I ordered my "Marine Blue" 32 GB Fire HD 10 2017 (7th Generation) device. I bought it knowing full well that I wasn't buying the equivalent to my precious tablet (that came with the compulsory membership of the cult of the bitten piece of fruit...), but I never expected to be as pleased as I have been with my Fire HD 10 2017 (7th Generation) little blue friend... I have not experienced any of the "flaws" in its performance that some reviewers warned about, the most frequently mentioned flag was the device's tendency to slow to a crawl when attempting to run more than a couple of apps at the same time! I have quite happily and successfully had 4 apps up and running at once with hardly any noticeable reduction in performance! I am particularly happy with my device's performance when it comes to speeds when connected to our home broadband, opening & loading some quite image intensive websites is no problem at all... One of the features of the Fire HD 10 2017 (7th Generation) that did get mostly positive reviews was the device's screen, everyone who has seen what my device's screen is capable of has been very impressed (we have the largest team system in the U.K. here in Manchester and fellow passengers are always commenting favourably about how good whatever movie I am watching during my journey home from work looks (I am very well pleased with my device's screen performance as well!). If what I have written up to now about my Fire HD 10 2017 (7th Generation) 32 GB doesn't make it clear how much I love it, the fact that I have just received the 64 GB version of it which I have just bought as my "away from home" device should ! I have expanded the storage of my 32 GB Fire HD 10 2017 (7th Generation) by 8 GB by using the option to use a microSD card, and I will be adding a 200 GB microSD card to my 64 GB "away from home" version as soon as it arrives in the post in the next few days... I can honestly say I am one very happy bunny when it comes to my new, very capable and pleasing to the eye & pocket Fire HD 2017 (7th Generation) 32 & 64 GB tablets (having the wonderful Alexa on them as well as our fantastic Echo smart speakers is the icing on an already lovely pair of cakes...). I can honestly say that I can't recommend the Fire HD 10 2017 (7th Generation) highly enough, just bear in mind that you won't be buying the equivalent of an grossly overpriced, really nothing special pair of electronic handcuffs that will trap you in the cult of the bitten piece of fruit... For an amazingly small amount of money you will be getting a fantastic device whose capabilities will only be limited by what you want to do with it!

• melvinm1x

I like the amazon fire 7 10 inch screen, the battery doesn't stay charged for more than a couple hours. The battery will need changing soon. I keep minimal background programs running. Utilities don't help so each program not used gets deleted.

• El Natan

I've had this for over a year, and I love it. I got it after my Nexus 7 2013 broke (still have to replace the daughterboard in that) and it has done most of what I need it to. I'm considering putting Android 9.0 on it to make productivity more streamlined with my phone and desktop, but for the $130 or so that I paid for it, the Fire HD 10 has held up very well. However, I'd pay a bit more for better battery life, which is mediocre. But hey, it was cheap and still runs alright.