Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML

Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML

• Headrat1

Had this phone since it was first available in a 64GB version. I droped it in water and the system board was replaced. That was over three years ago and it has been a good phone for the price and the features. It does have some heating problems and occasionally the screen freezes but can be unfrozen just by pressing the power button off and on. The glass is still scratch free and it charges with a quick charger in an hour. Would like to have had a removable battery but it has provided lots of functionality for a low cost. Perfect pictures every time. I put a 64GB memory card and can watch movies, mp3 files and the sound/video are both incredible! Quite happy this phone has lasted for nearly 4 years!

• john

massive thermal issues, phone has burnt plastic smells when under heavy load.

• PHGAMERZ

Fadli, 05 Feb 2019I still use this phone. The screen is cracked but impressively i... moreroot it to lineage OS :) android 7

• Asus

The worst investment I had. After 18 months of normal usage everything slowed down, upon recharging for a few minutes it freezes, can’t do anything with it. At the end it pissed me off so much that I break it into two pieces with my hands. Asus and mobile phones do not work! Never again.

• Fadli

I still use this phone. The screen is cracked but impressively it's so smooth even though it's 2 years old since i bought this. But sadly it's stuck in Marshmallow.

• Kenny

Anonymous, 22 Jan 2019i had bought the phone somewhere around the beginning of 2016, t... moreI still have this phone. The battery is starting to fail. Overall it was a great phone. I'll get another Asus to replace it.

i had bought the phone somewhere around the beginning of 2016, the only real problem i've encountered (even though my screen cracked within 7 months of usage) was the heating up from high stress activity. The phone did well in its intended purpouse for a good chunk of 2 years but the last 3 months of 2018 made the phone virtually inusable, as the screen stopped responding to image change (except for greater gradients of white forcing the loading of a section directly under them;), bottom to the top, section by section giving out a negative image of the last properly loaded visual or just plain black spot; making the typing and breaking of alarms impossible if not for muscle memory. 7/10 - my temporary xperia E3 outlasted it.

• Nicky

messenger from Facebook is not working anymore for this Phone :(

balaji, 04 Apr 2015asus is a good company.....Not bi good company

• thea

please help how to fix the main speaker of my phone

napalm, 20 Oct 2018My wife & I each have the 2.3GHz intel & 4GB memory.. al... moreI have mine set to double tap the screen. You just double tap to wake it up, and double tap to lock it. Much easier than using the power button.

ghoti, 12 Nov 2018Not a bad phone. I really liked that it includes a memory card s... moreThis is my experience also. Really loved this phone at first. But the GPS has become a real problem, and I am just over a year of use. If it struggles to get GPS or Cell signal for too long, that triggers the reboots. On my commute to work and back there are two spots where the signal drops for long enough to trigger the reboot. The only way to stop those is to put it in airplane mode while travelling.

It served me well and was very cheap, but had the phone not had all these issues making it deteriorate I would have still kept it in stead of upgrading. It handled games well and everything. But then at some point it developed what look like burns on the right side of the LCD, I assume from the aerial inside. That happened at about 6 months of use, then eventually after another 6 months there are these burn marks on the left side too. Like a straight yellow line on the LCD on each side.

The performance of the phone still seems to be the same as when it was new. But these little deteriorations. The battery is nothing what it used to be. It can drain from 100% to 20% in an hour of use. Then about a month ago, I guess the sim card reader is also mailfunctioning. As it is sitting on my desk right now, every ten minutes, without any use, suddenly it says no sim card in phone. Then it goes away as it finds the sim card again.

If you need a decently powered cellphone for a very short time, like in between contracts or something, it could work. As a powerful but temporary phone. But for anything long term, looking at the comments it seems like this phone just doesn't have any endurance.

• ghoti

Not a bad phone. I really liked that it includes a memory card slot and dual SIM. But after a hear of use, it started to intermittently drop GPS, so while Location was turned on, it had no idea where it was. Then it dropped GPS entirely and started randomly rebooting ... and battery life has dropped tremendously, and this unit has a non-removable battery (unless you're very adventurous). Given that it's stuck at Android 6, and support has been dropped in LineageOS, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. This has turned into a lemon.

• GGuess

Cyber, 17 Oct 2018After 3years my problem is some time message not able to display...The screen blackout seems to be a common issue for Zenfone 2. I have 2 of these phone in my family, and both of them suffer the exact same screen issue. Luckily, both of them happened within the warranty period, so I had both of them replaced via ASUS service center in Toronto. Their service is quick, I got them both replaced within 3 working days. After replacement, the screen is fine for 2 years now.

Marshmallow vs Lollipop

Pros and Cons

Should I upgrade I can read there som problem with camera after upgrade. Please write how long you try it.

My phone is from april 2015 and have only got at new battery recently mostly no problem.
If some will be so helpful to make op my mind, please

• Lepares

After 1 year, the phone started to suddenly blacks out.
I tried to turn on and during the boot it blacks out again. Battery replaced and the issue continues. After the first repair service, Asus Center refuses to help me.
Worst phone and service ever for me.

• napalm

My wife & I each have the 2.3GHz intel & 4GB memory.. all works fine with the phablets except 1 issue we cam across.
Imo Asus makes a top notch phone but I will give the advice to buy the magnetic cover/case with the circle on the front made for this device. It will allow you to put the phone in sleep mode when the cover is closed.
If you don't have that type of case then you will have to use the power button to wake the phone but that button will stop working due to overuse (the actual component). Then you will have to repair the phone, buy a new one or do a pain in the butt trick buy unplugging the battery plug it back in and press 3 front buttons at once to boot it up.

Bottom line: If you buy the phone buy the magnetic case that operates the sleep function.

• Cyber

After 3years my problem is some time message not able to display...

• ralph

i have been using this phone for 3 years now. problems that i encountered:

- after a year, the screen display only shows 1/3 of it, had it repaired.
- not compatible with some micro sd cards that i bought.
- you can only use SIM 1 for Data/Internet Connection.
- it gets very hot when using Data/Internet.
- i'm having trouble powering on the phone because the power button (on back case) is NOT properly aligned with the switch within the Phone.

I do not recommend buying this one.

• toketbrutal