Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max aces DisplayMate test
Now that all the iPhone 12 series phones are up for sale and making their way to consumers and reviewers alike, DisplayMate went ahead and did their full review of the iPhone 12 Pro Max’s 6.7-inch Super Retina XDR OLED panel.
The results show impressive performance across the board with the largest iPhone ever breaking 10 performance records. The 12 Pro Max deserves the highest A+ rating and perfect absolute color accuracy of 0.9 JNCD. Image contrast accuracy and intensity scale accuracy were of the highest quality too.
The new XDR OLED display has the highest full white screen brightness of any OLED display at 825 nits. HDR content can go up to 1,200 nits. The panel also holds the lowest screen reflectance at just 4.8% as well as the smallest brightness variation with a viewing angle at 27% when viewed from a 30-degree angle.
Here’s the full list of the 12 display performance records matched or broken by the iPhone 12 Pro Max:
- Highest Absolute Color Accuracy (0.9 JNCD) – Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect.
- Highest Image Contrast Accuracy and Intensity Scale Accuracy (2.19 Gamma) – Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect.
- Smallest Shift in Color Accuracy and Intensity Scale with the Image Content APL (0.2 JNCD) – Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect.
- Smallest Shift in Image Contrast and Intensity Scale with the Image Content APL (0.00 Gamma) – Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect.
- Smallest Change in Peak Luminance with the Image Content Average Picture Level APL (1 percent) – Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect.
- Highest Full Screen Brightness for OLED Smartphones (825 nits for 100% APL).
- Highest Full Screen Contrast Rating in Ambient Light (172 at 100% APL).
- Highest Contrast Ratio (Infinite).
- Lowest Screen Reflectance (4.8 percent).
- Smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle (27% at 30 degrees).
- Highest Visible Screen Resolution 2.8K (2778x1284) – 4K Does Not appear visually sharper on a Smartphone.
There is absolutely a tint on and off axis. If you use a good sample like another OLED iPhone you can see it. The contrast is worse, the scaling to the larger size is less sharp, the tint flattens the image overall. I am and audio / visual profession...
- 28 Nov 2020
Samsung manufactures the display for Apple, but Apple designs how they want it specifically...
- 23 Nov 2020
Learn what? I have the 12 Pro Max and there's no tint. Compared it to my 11 Pro Max and I don't see any difference whatsoever. Perfectly calibrated display.
- 23 Nov 2020