Six-year-old Fairphone 2 is getting Android 10

24 November 2021
That's impressive software support.

Sort by:

  • Anonymous

ABF Media, 24 Nov 2021Only poor people keep their phones for this long since they... moreThis is funny. LG dinosaur phone V20 has way better camera and screen than most Samsung midrange and budget phones that costs 2x price of the used v20.

New doesn't always mean better.

  • Anonymous

dbjungle, 24 Nov 2021Seriously... This is nothing to brag about. Getting Andro... moreI don't see any smartphone originally ran on Lollipop ever receive official OS update other than flagships. Fairphone have show that it is still possible to give newer OS update. Also, Google is still officially supporting Android 10.

  • Anonymous

ABF Media, 24 Nov 2021Only poor people keep their phones for this long since they... moreSpeak for yourself. I still keep my old phone because new phones ditch every single relevant hardware features. No way in h*ll I'm going wireless, been there before and I'm not going to embrace it again.

  • Anonymous

Vikass17, 24 Nov 2021Still only 4 major updates. And prices of fairphones were... moreFun fact: Fairphone 2 was shipped with 5.0 Lollipop out of the box.

Isn't the current version v12 lmao

  • Trooper

Aacro X, 25 Nov 2021Getting an older version of Android 2 years late is not goo... moreIt's good for those that own the phone, which is better and more up-to-date than what they had. I'd say that is good support, and I'm pretty sure that they would say so too...

Well this i call a serious brand not like or unlike any other and is compaltible with litterary everything.
No other brand or device can do that.

Getting an older version of Android 2 years late is not good support

Still only 4 major updates.
And prices of fairphones were never fair.

Anonymous, 24 Nov 2021My phone is old. I do not have new one because newer phone... moreI do agree that there is a point that you don't need more..Though I think we are only just hitting that now with the s22 ultra

It has a energy efficent 2k screen (Max resolution the eye can see from a normal distance)
Its 120hz which makes watching back 120fps videos possible and animations perfectly smooth and it helps with gaming any higher hz is useless because you can't really see it.
The CPU is powerful enough to run full desktop applications
The ram is enough to handle multitasking with desktop level applications
The GPU can finally Run any emulator game at 30+ fps
The GPU has finally reached ps4 level BUT with ray tracing so its future proof.
The screen is finally 90+% screen to body ratio with the smallest amount of possible bezel without hindering usability and it finally looks near symmetrical from the front.
The cameras finally offer all focal lengths with pro controls and can record 4k hdr at 120fps so slowmo is now an option at the perfect resolution.
It has all the software features you could think off with good lock + the built in s pen
Finally it has 2 day battery life /one full day on ultra heavy use.
Finally charges in under an hour so it can be fully charged whilst getting ready in case you forget to charge it over night.
Support till android 15 so it'll have even more software features then you could ever need.
Finally the isp can Max out the capability of those tiny image sensors so camera quality in the future of smartphone won't greatly grow past that point due to size restraints.
Finally the software looks great and can be customised exactly to ones taste.


That list just scratched the surface. Trust me,upgrade to the s22 ultra and you'll be set for life. Things won't get better than it for years !!

Anonymous, 24 Nov 2021Your phone can still do everything you need with older andr... moreNot true. Eventually a lot of apps stop supporting older versions of android. I have a Samsung Alpha and so many apps just don't work anymore such as you tube making the phone pretty much worthless
This is exactly why phones with 3 or more updates are much more valuable than those with 2 or 1 (which is the most common), they'll be usable for a longer time

  • Les

This is a great job for this company. I used my iPhone 6 for 7 years straight up until last month where the Slack app, an app that is integral to my work, decided to pull the plug for iOS12. Now, I ended up giving it to my Mom, an upgrade from her iPhone 5S and bought myself an SE 2016.

  • Anonymous

Narazumono, 24 Nov 2021Most Android phones can run atleast 4 software updates. The... moreYour phone can still do everything you need with older android versions.
Getting new phone just because of new android is too stupid.

  • Anonymous

Anonymous, 24 Nov 2021It's only a cult because YOU say it is. It's not ... moreDo you think that an instagram subcelebrity that spends hours daily posting photos has an iphone because iOS and long support for software?
LMAO ......

Yes, it is a cult when people stay hours (or even whole day) in front of the Apple stores just to buy iphone on first day of sales when person can easily go on the next day or buy online.


  • Anonymous

ABF Media, 24 Nov 2021Only poor people keep their phones for this long since they... moreMy phone is old. I do not have new one because newer phone has tons of things I do not need. It would be waste of money.

- I do not need more than 32GB storage , nor more than 4GB ram
- I do not need 120/144/165/240 Hz screen
- I do not need multi cam setup
- I do not need Qi charging

Phones without all this are inferior to my current phone. I can pay for things I will never use or get phone that is worse than mine.
Better keep an old phone.

Anonymous, 24 Nov 2021"Most". Being actually basically none. Samsung is... moreSamsung did good by buffing up the software support
That gives people one more reason to choose Samsung over other brands
2 years is not enough, but 3 years is good since that's usually how long i keep my phones

> "Our 6-yr-old Fairphone 2 is being upgraded to Android 10."
> "That's 7 years of software support!"
> 6 ≠ 7
> Android 10 is from 2019.
> The Fairphone 2 released after Android 6.

You can't just release a phone on an outdated version of Android and count "updating" it to the version that released before the phone as an update. So that's 4 major updates. Hardly above the average.

And idk why they think the time they've spent updating it is impressive, it's not. It's a con not a pro. It's like a student taking 3x as long to complete a test and getting the same score.

Edit: OH I SEE WHY THEY CALL IT 7 YEARS! Hahahahaha they aren't releasing this trash update until 2022! And I thought 2021 was a horrible time to update a phone to Android 10! Wouldn't put it past them to release it after Android 13!

Anonymous, 24 Nov 2021He said „who wants a phone for six years?“ well I‘m at 5 no... moreSo you're enjoying a slow phone with outdated design, 60Hz display, slow charging, degraded battery, outdated camera, no 5G, outdated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, most likely USB 2.0?

Anonymous, 24 Nov 2021"Most". Being actually basically none. Samsung is... moreOnly poor people keep their phones for this long since they got no money left to afford a brand new phone with all the latest tech.

  • Anonymous

What Fairphone has done here shows that planned obsolescence is a capitalist movement. This will make someone like Xiaomi who released a new phone every week get into a heart attack.