Nothing OS 2.5 beta based on Android 14 now available for the Nothing Phone (2)
Nothing is working on a major update for its custom branch of Android – the biggest since Nothing OS 2.0 arrived with the Nothing Phone (2). The new version switches over from Android 13 underpinnings to Android 14 and introduces additional Nothing-specific features while also restyling various UI elements for a more consistent look.
Nothing OS Open Beta (1) is available only for Phone (2) owners for now, though the company has confirmed that it is working on an Android 14 update for the Phone (1) as well. Here are the highlights of what’s new with v2.5 (you can find the full change log below).
Here is what you need to know if you want to chance the update. As usual, this is a beta, so it may have bugs that make it unsuitable for a daily driver. But if you accept this risk, make sure to have your phone updated to Nothing OS 2.0.3 and head over to this post on the Nothing Community forum for instructions.
After installing v2.5, you will have the option to roll back to Nothing OS 2.0.3. However, you will need to back up your data as the rollback process includes a factory reset.
As promised, here is the full change log for Nothing OS 2.5 Open Beta 1.
- Updated the widgets library interface so Nothing widgets appear more clearly.
- New photos widget, allowing you to display your favourite photos on both your Home Screen and Lock Screen.
- New screenshot editor and menu, allowing for more advanced editing features and quick deletions.
- Updated design of back gesture to be more in line with Nothing’s style.
- Added the option to hide app icons on the Home Screen and app drawer. Swipe right in the app drawer to reveal hidden app icons.
- Capture screenshots quickly with a three-finger swipe.
- Customise the double-press power button to quickly access a chosen feature.
- Redesigned a joint Home Screen and Lock Screen customisation page for a more comprehensive view of options.
- Introduced the glass filter to make your favourite wallpapers extra unique.
- New solid colour wallpapers for a cleaner Home Screen appearance.
- Added a monochrome colour theme in the basic colour section.
- New back gesture while interacting with apps
- Updated Quick Settings layout and added Nothing earbuds icons.
- More Lock Screen shortcut options including do not disturb, mute, QR code scanner and video camera.
- Made it possible to set ringtone and notification sound volumes separately, with an updated volume control interface.
- Added regional settings so you can customise your unit and number preferences
- 20 Oct 2023
I have a nothing 2 still to get the update
- 13 Oct 2023
everytime I have constipation, I will open YouTube and watch Carl Pei commenting about other tech-brands to make my bowel movements process easier and smoother.
- 12 Oct 2023
Lmoa, they've completely branched away from the tech space. https://www.gizmochina.com/2023/10/12/nothing-announces-nothing-apparel/