Panasonic Lumix Smart Camera CM1

Panasonic Lumix Smart Camera CM1

I happened to own this phone and recently got myself a Beastgrip 3x Tele Conversion Lens. Boy, it was a dream come true for me to have a portable 1-inch camera with Android OS and LTE connectivity. The 37mm threaded lens definitely fit like a glove when I removed the silver ring. I do aware of the lack of OIS and Xenon flash, but I can counter that back with a videography-focused LED light and a monopod or a gimbal. Once I got either the Bestgrip Pro cage or Ulanzi Smartphone Metal Rig, that's it - that would be my mobile videography gear.

YUKI93, 20 Jan 2020I definitely would love to see a modern successor to this phone.... moreAhhh the bulk comment makes sense now.. I thumbs you up due to my ignorance lol

OhioKev4, 20 Jan 2020Heavy Bulk?? While yes it is much thicker than newer model smar... moreI definitely would love to see a modern successor to this phone. The only two thing missing from this phone are Xenon flash and OIS. Got those in with a new and improved 1-inch sensor alongside a newer chipset and a much bigger battery, and I am definitely more than ready to leave my Nokia Lumia 1020 behind.

P.S I actually meant by proper DSLR camera when I say 'heavy bulk'.

YUKI93, 24 Jul 2019For most people, this is just a digital camera. Who wants a phon... moreHeavy Bulk?? While yes it is much thicker than newer model smart phones... it weighs about the same. Probably less than the phone you currently carry. Iphone Xs is 4 grams heavier and a Iphone 11 Pro Max is 22 grams heavier.

I had a sidekick so the thickness would not deter me one bit but think it would still be a niche device. If they re-released this with a 1 inch sensor, great lens, solid processing and optical zoom I know many photo enthusiast would be flocking to it.

• Mihai

Panasonic please make a new version!

IB1973, 18 May 2019The best Camera on a phone ever created. It is a shame people ne... moreFor most people, this is just a digital camera. Who wants a phone that looks like that? Well not me personally, try to find another smartphone that can attach a 37mm diameter external lens or longer with a step ring.

Some people would definitely say to buy a proper DSLR camera. But I rather not bringing that heavy bulk around every time I go out.

The best Camera on a phone ever created. It is a shame people never realised the great potential of this gem. Would love to see it re-released in a revamped Avatar with better specs and sleeker form.

avatarma, 13 Nov 2018you are wrong , the panasonic CM10 has 1inch sensorCM1 and CM10 are just the exactly identical phone. The only one difference is that CM1 have SIM card slot and LTE connectivity, whereas the CM10... doesn't, much like the Samsung Galaxy Camera/Camera 2/NX.

Macbeth, 05 Jan 2019Why would you want to make phone calls and send text messages on... moreSamsung once did the S4 zoom and the K/S5 zoom, so there must be a market for such device.

YUKI93, 08 Jul 2018It got LTE connectivity, so yes... it IS still a phone.Why would you want to make phone calls and send text messages on a point-and-shoot camera anyway? Wouldn't that be pretty weird?

• Areoles

avatarma, 13 Nov 2018you are wrong , the panasonic CM10 has 1inch sensorCorrect and still is the only phone ever with a 1” censor

• avatarma

you are wrong , the panasonic CM10 has 1inch sensor

CrAcKeZ, 15 Mar 2018Imagine a phone with 5-5.5" camera and android oneSorry, no phone on the market today has a 1" sensor.

Macbeth, 12 May 2018It's not a phone, it's just a generic digital cameraIt got LTE connectivity, so yes... it IS still a phone.

• YUKI93

It's not a phone, it's just a generic digital camera

Anonymous, 15 Sep 2017After 2 years, I had to retire mine. Battery is more or less dea... moreImagine a phone with 5-5.5" camera and android one

Anonymous, 12 Oct 2017Its such a shame they had this great idea and then crippled it. ... moreMan... you got to learn about sensor size vs aperture. The f2.8 on a 1 inch sensor beats the f1.7 on a 1/2.55 inch on a S8 anytime, no matter in terms of light gathered or bokeh. I agree with the part on the flash, but it does not really need OIS that much because a) it is easy to hold compared to a 8mm thick phone as it provides lots of stable grip and b) it can easily handle ISO 3200 without much noise. Try that high ISO on any other phones and you will get a watercolor painting. I was so impressed with the 1 inch sensor on this phone that when I finally had to retire it, I bought a Canon G7X II as a replacement.

Its such a shame they had this great idea and then crippled it.
Yes you have to compromise with big parts like this tho keep profits. Especially when you know it won't sell as much.
But if you sacrifice too much and don't support it then you lose profit drastically.
No OIS, F2.8 when the standard was F2.2. 21.1mm thick with 2,600mah battery where 8.1mm think phones had batteries of 2,800mah. No xenon. I think the worst part was lacking OIS.
And despite the great hardware the image processing needed updates. Which is ok.... if it had gotten them.
Especially the video. No OIS, I believe no 4k, and lackluster processing.
So much potential.
But they never really did much in firmware updates to fix the camera.
And only provided the update from kit Kat to lollipop.
Then abandoned the phone.

After 2 years, I had to retire mine. Battery is more or less dead, phone will shut down at 20-25% charge, usually at around 6-8 pm. I do wish that they will produce a CM2 as any other phones that I try have rubbish cameras compared to this.