Samsung Galaxy A70 review
The Samsung Galaxy A70 raises the bar within the new A series - a completely reimagined lineup to lead a full-scale war in the midrange kingdom. And the rule of the Chinese makers is very much threatened, having already seen what the A40 and A50 are capable of.
The Galaxy A series are not what they used to be, thank whoever is in charge. Now they are not only affordable AMOLED-bearers, they are also jam-packed with trendy features and come priced very competitively. In fact, it's been quite a while since we could recommend a Galaxy amidst midrangers, but now we can easily name a few.
The Galaxy A70 builds on the very balanced tri-eyed mid-ranger Galaxy A50 by enlarging its AMOLED screen and employing a higher-end chipset with a better processor. Then the camera setup on the back might be keeping its logic (wide/ultra-wide/depth) but the main snapper is now a 32MP one and it can capture 4K videos.
Finally, the Galaxy A70 has one beefy 4,500 mAh battery capable of up to 25W fast charging courtesy of USB-PD technology - a departure from the Samsung's Adaptive Charging that's been around since the Galaxy S5.
Indeed, there are a ton of interesting bits within the Galaxy A70, but here are the most important ones.
Samsung Galaxy A70 specs
- Body: 164.3 x 76.7 x 7.9 mm, 3D Glasstic back, plastic frame.
- Screen: 6.7" Super AMOLED, 1080x2400px resolution, 393 ppi.
- Chipset: Snapdragon 675 chipset: octa-core (2x2.0 GHz Kryo 460 Gold & 6x1.7 GHz Kryo 460 Silver); Adreno 612 GPU.
- Memory: 6/8GB RAM, 128GB built-in storage; microSD slot
- OS: Android 9 Pie; Samsung One UI
- Main camera: Primary: 32MP, f/1.7, PDAF; Secondary: 8MP, f/2.2, 12mm ultra-wide, fixed focus; Depth camera: 5MP f/2.2; LED flash; 1080p@30 video recording.
- Selfie camera: 32MP f/2.0, 1080p video
- Battery: 4,500mAh; 25W fast charging
- Connectivity: Dual-SIM; LTE Cat.12 (600Mbps) download / Cat.6 upload (50Mbps), Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, GPS; Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE, USB-C 2.0.
- Misc: Under-display fingerprint reader, down-firing loudspeaker, 3.5mm audio port
The most prominent omission is the ingress protection that was present on all older Galaxy A phones. The new A series has neither dust nor water protection. This is the price for all those cool specs, including the high-end OLEDs. And we will gladly pay it.
Unboxing the Samsung Galaxy A70
The retail box contains everything your new Galaxy A70 may need but a case. Inside, you will find a 25W-rated USB-PD charger and a USB-C to C cable - this is the first time Samsung uses this combo, but we get the feeling we will continue seeing it onwards.
Finally, Samsung is also bundling an in-ear headset ending on a 3.5mm plug.
It is my fault that I trust Samsung Series. I have used Samsung series before that have nothing fault. But now Samsung A70, Fingerprint scanner in my phone is not working well. First time, you set it up, it can read your finger. However, months after...
- 5 hours ago
What can I say about this A70 is no regrets,its worth buying.
- 20 Feb 2020
True, focus ist garbage. I need HQ pics for my Job (elevator mechanic) when I want to take a pic of a spare part, I need the small letters and number to be visible. The camera will focus 100%, but when the acutual pic snaps, the lens unfocuses for so...
- 19 Feb 2020