Samsung Galaxy M53 review
Samsung's midrange M-series was upgraded earlier this year, and we got our hands on the Galaxy M53 after covering its A-series counterpart a couple of months ago. We did say 'upgrade' in the previous sentence, but is it really? Let's go over the specs to see where it stands on paper.
For starters, the cameras are a 'neither here, nor there' type of situation - the main one has gotten a larger and higher-res sensor but that's at the expense of the ultrawide and the macro units which have both been downgraded.
Then there's the chipset - nothing's wrong with the 5G-capable Dimensity 900 we have here, but the Snapdragon 778 of the predecessor is a more potent performer.
The 6.7-inch OLED display with a 120Hz maximum refresh rate is still here; no complaints. The battery capacity, while far from the M51's class-leading 7,000mAh, remains at 5,000mAh as was on the M52, so this too can be filed under 'no change is a good thing'. The 25W charging rating remains too.
Samsung Galaxy M53 specs at a glance:
- Body: 164.7x77.0x7.4mm, 176g; plastic back, plastic frame.
- Display: 6.70" Super AMOLED Plus, 120Hz, 1080x2408px resolution, 20.07:9 aspect ratio, 394ppi.
- Chipset: MediaTek MT6877 Dimensity 900 (6 nm): Octa-core (2x2.4 GHz Cortex-A78 & 6x2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G68 MC4.
- Memory: 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM; microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot).
- OS/Software: Android 12, One UI 4.1.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 108 MP, f/1.8, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.2, 1/4", 1.12µm; Macro: 2 MP, f/2.4; Depth: 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 32 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide).
- Video capture: Rear camera: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60fps; Front camera: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; Fast charging 25W.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted).
Samsung Galaxy M53 unboxing
Another downgrade, and a very tangible one at that, is in the box and its contents. The two-piece white cardboard box is now half-height, which immediately tells you there's no charger inside. There still is a USB-C cable - maybe for the last time, the way things are going.
- 22 Jul 2022
But PD charging speed will not match their proprietary charging speeds.
- Chadley Norman SL
- 08 Jul 2022
The Back Design is just not that much otherwise its a great machine with a lovely front design
- Ho Quoc Du
- 03 Jul 2022
Partially creative design plus no 3.5mm headphone jack.