LG Optimus G Pro preview: First look
The newly announced Optimus G Pro books LG a spot in the Android hall of fame. A quad-core Snapdragon 600 chipset, a 5.5" FullHD display and a 13MP camera is the right kind of ammo of a proper flagship. The bar has been consitently raised over the past few months and only this sort of specs can get you a pass into the exclusive club of uberphones.
The quad-core race is on for some time now, but display technology has been coming in leaps and bounds as well. Displays of 5+ inches in diagonal and 1080p resolution are all the rage now and we are seeing new models touting those cropping up every month.
Yesterday's flagships are demoted to runner-ups by this new breed of five-inchers. The LG Optimus G is one of the first victims in this arms race, outsmarted by the company's own Optimus G Pro.
But it's a cut-throat business and specs alone cannot guarantee strong sales. It takes a bit more than that. The stakes are high indeed, but the Optimus G Pro seems to have what it takes to make it through. We took one for a spin and are ready to let you in on all we managed to find out about it. But let's start with the spec sheet.
LG Optimus G Pro at a glance:
- General: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz; UMTS 1900/2100 MHz, HSDPA, HSUPA; LTE, 100Mbps down, 50Mbps up
- Form factor: Touchscreen bar
- Dimensions: 150.2 x 76.1 x 9.4 mm, 160 g
- Display: 5.5" 16M-color FullHD (1080 x 1920 pixels) True HD-IPS+ LCD capacitive touchscreen
- Chipset: Qualcomm APQ8064T Snapdragon 600
- CPU: Quad-core 1.7GHz Krait 300 processor
- GPU: Adreno 320
- RAM: 2GB
- OS: Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)
- Memory: 32 GB storage, microSD card slot
- Still camera: 13 megapixel auto-focus camera with backlit sensor, face detection and Best faces feature, touch focus and image stabilization, HDR
- Video camera: Full HD (1080p) video recording at 30fps, LED flash, HDR; 2.1MP front facing camera, video-calls, 1080p@30fps; dual video recording
- Connectivity: Dual-band Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0, standard microUSB port with MHL features (TV Out, USB host), GPS receiver with A-GPS and GLONASS, 3.5mm audio jack, FM radio, NFC
- Battery: 3140 mAh
- Misc: Optimus UI, Extremely rich video/audio codec support, built-in accelerometer, multi-touch input, proximity sensor, gyroscope sensor, active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
The Optimus G Pro has one of the most powerful chipsets around and has an intriguing screen. It's both bigger and better than the one on the the Xperia Z and that's a clear message already. There is the sleek design too, the slim screen bezel and the Android Jelly Bean edition enhanced by numerous custom tweaks and eye-candy.
Join us as we look closely at what makes the LG Optimus G Pro tick.