Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max review
The best iPhone ever, version 2022, size XL - we have the iPhone 14 Pro Max. The list of novelties this year includes the notch morphing into a pill, the introduction of an Always-On display, and an all-new primary camera - and while you can get all of that on the 14 Pro, the extra screen estate and longevity coupled with the Max's 'ultimate' status mean it has a market niche of its own.
The Face ID notch that's been with us since the iPhone X was nobody's favorite, and perhaps its reincarnation as a pill is a step towards its eventual removal. But not before turning the eyesore into a feature - the pill is a Dynamic Island of notifications, blurring the line between hardware and software.
In a similar vein is the Always-On display - a software feature only made possible now in Apple's world thanks to LTPO displays being able to ramp down to 1Hz refresh rate.
A massive increase in brightness is also among the key developments this year, this one solely in the hardware department.
Late to yet another party, Apple finally joins virtually every other manufacturer and introduces a camera with a Quad Bayer type sensor - the specs on the 48MP main unit don't read like any other, so apparently, it's an exclusive design. The telephoto remains unchanged, but the ultrawide has gotten a sensor size upgrade, while the front-facing one now features autofocus (and maybe even OIS).
On the hardware front, there's the mandatory chipset update, of course, and little else worth mentioning. Well, there's the blanked-out SIM card slot for the US models, which will only operate with eSIMs - does that count as a hardware change? Crash detection and emergency sort-of satellite connectivity are also on the list of new features combining software and hardware.
Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max specs at a glance:
- Body: 160.7x77.6x7.9mm, 240g; Glass front (Corning-made glass), glass back (Corning-made glass), stainless steel frame; IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 6m for 30 mins).
- Display: 6.70" LTPO Super Retina XDR OLED, 120Hz, HDR10, Dolby Vision, 1000 nits (typ), 2000 nits (HBM), 1290x2796px resolution, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 460ppi; Always-On display.
- Chipset: Apple A16 Bionic (4 nm): Hexa-core (2x3.46 GHz Everest + 4x2.02 GHz Sawtooth); Apple GPU (5-core graphics).
- Memory: 128GB 6GB RAM, 256GB 6GB RAM, 512GB 6GB RAM, 1TB 6GB RAM; NVMe.
- OS/Software: iOS 16.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 48 MP, f/1.8, 24mm, 1/1.28", 1.22µm, dual pixel PDAF, sensor-shift OIS; Telephoto: 12 MP, f/2.8, 77mm, 1/3.5", PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom; Ultra wide angle: 12 MP, f/2.2, 13mm, 120˚, 1/2.55", 1.4µm, dual pixel PDAF; Depth: TOF 3D LiDAR scanner.
- Front camera: Wide (main): 12 MP, f/1.9, 23mm, 1/3.6", PDAF, OIS (unconfirmed); Depth: SL 3D.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 4K@24/25/30/60fps, 1080p@25/30/60/120/240fps, 10-bit HDR, Dolby Vision HDR (up to 60fps), ProRes, Cinematic mode (4K@24/30fps), stereo sound rec; Front camera: 4K@24/25/30/60fps, 1080p@25/30/60/120fps, gyro-EIS.
- Battery: 4323mAh; Fast charging, USB Power Delivery 2.0, MagSafe fast wireless charging 15W, Qi wireless charging 7.5W.
- Misc: Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer; NFC; stereo speakers; Ultra Wideband (UWB) support, Emergency SOS via satellite (SMS sending/receiving);, Apple Pay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified).
Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max unboxing
Hardly anything has changed in the presentation of the iPhone 14 Pro Max compared to last year's model. The half-height box has a color-matched likeness of the phone printed on the lid, and opens with a couple of paper tear-off pull tabs.
Inside, the phone is lying face down, its back greeting you as you remove the lid. There's no charger bundled, but there's still a USB-C-to-Lightning cable, at least. And an Apple sticker, because free advertising.
- 30 Jan 2023
Been a user of Galaxy Phones for a decade. Just got gifted with an Iphone 14 Pro Max. Well! I cannot understand what the hoopla is all about. The "new" features in Iphone has been there with Galaxy phones for years. Photo quality is user de...
- 29 Jan 2023
after 6 years, your phone will be old as hell, probably lost or broken by then, and the battery will have to be replaced at least once; which can only be done in expensive official apple center because apple does not sell repair parts to third ...
- 18 Jan 2023