Honor 8

Honor 8

Maui, 14 Jan 2020It was confirmed from Huawei through an email that certain US L0... moreThat seems correct. My Honor has B416 firmware and neither HiSuite nor Updater offer newer version.

• sayabosanhidup

Paul, 01 Jan 2020Have had this phone for 3 years. Overall, I think it was a good ... morewell m planning to buy it someday now that it s only
us$87 for the 4ram 32rom n us$98 for d 4ram 6rom

n i dont really mind it being outdated as long as it can
run whatsapp n doesnt lag n have reasonable battery

i just want a cool phone n a smartphone from huawei

• Maui

Sarmad, 21 Dec 2019I'm at 7.0, not receiving any update through honor suite,nor fw ... moreIt was confirmed from Huawei through an email that certain US L04 and L09 models would not be getting Android 8.0. They released the update by your phone's "region of origin". My L04 came from NY and they checked my specific model line and said it would not be getting the update. It's lame but I love my phone :/

• Paul

Have had this phone for 3 years. Overall, I think it was a good purchase. Firstly, the dual-SIM functionality works, which was one of the main reasons I went for it (in the Netherlands, most of the phones sold were single-SIM). Then the camera is good if conditions are right. It does struggle in low light, and videos are shaky due to lack of OIS/proper EIS, however, stills in good lighting conditions come out excellent.

EMUI has grown on me. Having previously used a near stock Android OS in my Motorola G1, EMUI 7.0 does not actually feel all that different. Also, I haven't experienced any lag whatsoever, which means that the perceived heaviness of the skin is well handled by the phone. Plus it comes preinstalled with some media apps like Music (a local music player) or Sound Recorder, which relieves you of having to look for such apps in the app store (for whatever reason, stock Android still doesn't include proper apps). Oh, and the camera app is great, owing to the many features.

The downsides? The last update received dates back to December 2018, the speaker is not loud enough, the glass back is prone to scratches (though that was a non-issue for me, since I put on a case right after purchase). Finally, the battery life was never that great. A full charge will generally last you a full day, but if you use it extensively, you will need a top-up in the evening. More on that, in the past year I noticed in some rare occasions that, the phone will shutdown due to empty battery even when the battery meter shows 20-40%. This does make you want to have your powerbank with you when traveling.

Anyway, would I go for a Huawei phone again? Yes, but only once they fix their conflicts with the US (google services are important), and only at the right price. I think 500-550 Euros is the max I would spend which might be just enough for a P-series phone. More than that, and I would be looking for long-term Android updates which clearly, a Huawei device cannot offer.

In short, good phone well worth the 370 Euros I paid for it in Jan 2017. Also, Huawei/Honor phones are good and EMUI is solid, however, watch out for the US/Android situation and factor in the likely lack of long-term updates in the purchase decision.

I'm at 7.0, not receiving any update through honor suite,nor fw updater.
should I try any other methods like de-branding etc for update to oreo ? Is it really worth ?
Review regarding phone:
More than 2 years with this phone(L-09). Phone is amaizing reagrding build and design. Dropped many times, (I dont use any cover/pouch) a little crack on the front glass though but still, phone is durable and working flawlessly. I dont have any over night or fast battery drain issue, and battery last for a day easily with normal usage( not a gamer, but Wi-Fi,mobile data,4g , location is 24 hours active).
*32GB memory is bit low,as I use dual sim, so no space for memory card :(

• Brian W

The phone was amazing at first and still is the camera is sharp in most conditions it's got class leading pixel size for its age and keeping up and even beating some of my friends with their newer Samsung notes but battery life has degraded badly over time i always carry around my charger and yes after the android 8 update the camera experience is what's keeping me so far but the but the battery life is terrible so it's been a good run but now I have to let it go the software has multiple bugs and they are annoying the hardware lags hard at times Gaming is ok for the most part then you start noticing the quick drain so yes sadly it's time is up Xiaomi have some good offerings I'll go check there

• Musta

• sima

ZÉ, 14 Aug 2019to sima.......Bactery not bad you must put must time de wi-fi an... morelol, i know i also use extreme power saving, but i don't standby drains this phone much faster than same other phones(with 3000 mah) also overnight drain is also faster than expected...maybe it's something with the battery stamina, radio cell or os optimization...that's why i'm planning to update to oreo in hope for better os optimization

• sima

Zoks, 18 Oct 2019I see lot's of users are complaining because they are still didn... moreokay? r u serious? cuz i'm rlly in rush to update to oreo(i'm nougat) in hope that battery life could be better, and those cool oreo feature...but if u sayin tru, then i'm cool with 7.0 cuz i don want the batter to get worse even tough i'm still not satisfied

• Zoks

zootx, 18 Sep 2019Had a nice run with this with phone. The firmware has not recei... moreSo your only reason for phone change is because It does not have security updates? Are you working for CIA or something?

• Ladison

Hello guys, has anyone experience with some really good ROM? Let me know pls, thx

• Zoks

Zoks, 18 Oct 2019I see lot's of users are complaining because they are still didn... moreAnd if you need to replace broken screen than you have another circus to find quality screen, OEM badge is usually not guarantee. Screen brightnes, colour reproduction and viewing angles are noticeable worst. And half of screens on ebay even do not have all required sensor windows, usually they are missing ambient sensor window so you end with non 100% functional phone. Lame for Honor, or better call it Horror.

• Zoks

I see lot's of users are complaining because they are still didn't update to 8.0 .
I personally regreted my update to 8.0, I only got stupid pull down menu with search bar that I newer use and usually activate it by accident when I need normal pull down menu with switches, and batttery life reduced by 30% and never got better. Phone usability degraded with 8.0, that's my opinion.

• v_1

Bought this when it just came out in 2016. The first 3 months the phone performed flawlessly, but after that the battery life went downhill VERY quickly. Got it replaced under warranty, but that didnt really solve the problem. I contacted huawei support, and their explanation wasnt really an explanation but a very vague "depends on the conditions it was used in".
Its now to the point where im charging the device up to 3 times per day. Its not worth it anymore.
Other minor things would be weak bluetooth, paint pealing on the alu trim and its a PITA to connect it to a PC.
The dual cameras are a nice touch. Infrared port is a unique feature these days, i really enjoyed the fun of being able to turn off other peoples televisions.
On very few occasions did the phone freeze or become unresponsive. I'd say this is the most realiable piece of tech i've had. For reference mine is a FRD-L09.
Would i recommend it? Maybe. No clue how many of these were affected by the battery issue, mine was a early model so maybe they did a revision at some time.
Would i buy another huawei? I got this one because its just looks amazing with that glass on the back. Too bad its all smashed up now. The newer ones dont really stand out like this one did back when it was new. Oh and for 300€ it was top tier value.

• Alalaa

Jack79Sparrow, 18 Sep 2019for me and after more than 5 years with (hyawei / honor) i'll no... moreYou are absolutely right. I will do the same

for me and after more than 5 years with (hyawei / honor) i'll not buy
any phone from them, my next phone maybe from (apple / samsung / xiaomi / nokia)
because these company respect the users and give them 3 years at least
of update.

• zootx

Had a nice run with this with phone.
The firmware has not received any security updates for a year (i am on Android 8), although the specs and camera still satisfy me, so I have to get a replacement phone.
I can only recommend others to purchase phones with long-term software support (e.g., Google, Oneplus) or support for custom ROMs with an active development community (since Huawei/Honor are closed-source kernels, custom ROM development has never been good for these brands).
As smartphone technology is reaching a plateau (all midrange phones nowadays have strong internals, nobody needs 8 GB RAM), customers will not need a new phone every 2 years. But Huawei and other companies still use this model (planned obsolence), so stay away from them.

• Jack79Sparrow

Jack79Sparrow, 16 Sep 2019for me my honor 8 still in andriod 7 (pie) and nothing new about... moresorry not pie, nougat (andriod 7).

Jack79Sparrow, 16 Sep 2019for me my honor 8 still in andriod 7 (pie) and nothing new about... moreIn Pakistan still 7 is working

• Jack79Sparrow

User 1, 15 Sep 2019Honor 8 has already received oreo ...ive been using it with oreo... morefor me my honor 8 still in andriod 7 (pie) and nothing new about oreo!!!