LG G5

LG G5

After upgrading to android Oreo
My keyboard still show in a faint way
When doing other things,overheating and battery drain fast

• Bobola

Asad, 18 Sep 2019here is the link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g5/deve... moreMy lg g5 hotspot does not on

• Asad

OG, 08 Sep 2019How did you upgrade to 9.0here is the link:

I use Google's Messages as my default texting app. I used to be a big fan of Textra but I eventually moved to the Google one because Textra would usually end up delaying my texts or it didn't offer web previews. I don't know now if Textra offers that.

One of the issues going back to my LG G5 as a main phone is it sorta lags when I open the app to text people. Solution? Download an older apk. I downloaded Messages when it was still 3.0 and opening it is noticeably quicker. Apps that are updated always get ruined and bloated at some point.

I notice the older they are or closer to the phone or its software version release date, the better the experience. That's usually the case majority of the time. Go back to older version for apps. Only exceptions would be something like a GCam apk.

With Nova Launcher, my favorite app animation under Look & Feel is Blink from Ice Cream Sandwich. Very little animation means buttery smooth transition. It's like instant. This helps older devices like the LG G5 feel smoother. Always find a solution if any problems.

I'm going to use my LG G5 until it never turns on anymore. It wasn't known for bootloops. And if it breaks, cheap to get it fixed because it's modular! One of the most convenient smartphones ever made of this decade. Easily fixable like a Nokia 3310.

Legendary

Folks should check out my comment about the Pixel 3 and how updating to Android 10 was a bad idea. I had to move my sim back to my G5. Who knew an LG would become the reliable one knowing their bad reputation?

My G5 still has worse battery life than my Pixel 3 but it isn't as bad compared to using the yellow OEM batteries. My main reason going back is no touchscreen issues and Call Blacklist Pro still works. And I forget the SAR is low compared to the Pixel 3. G5 remains my favorite smartphone ever. And repairing them are easy. I have a newer build from late-2016. I don't have GPS issues. It can occasionally miss and the voice navigation won't speak but overall it's fine.

Made some comparisons of the GCam to stock and ended up sticking to GCam. One of the main weaknesses to LG is their mediocre dynamic range while GCam was sharper and better contrasts. GCam also doesn't have the words on my t-shirt reversed if I take a selfie with the front cam. I can also adjust the size of the photo while the LG cam app I couldn't. Stuck on 16 MP with photo size over 8 MB.

I know how maligned and what a flop the G5 was but I love this device! For a time, I did kinda hated it and was willing to sell it for a measly $100. But ever since I updated it to Nougat and the latest security patch (Dec 2017), it feels like a new device again. Now I really have no issues except the occasional software bug like the location signal still on after turning it off. I use a plain black wallpaper to avoid seeing any image retention.

More folks should appreciate the LG G5 for being the pioneer of the wide-angle and being one of the last of its kind next to the V20 with removable battery and IR blaster on a flagship. Apple announced the iPhone 11 / 11 Pro / 11 Pro Max. All they did was copy LG about 3.5 years later with the wide-angle camera. LG G5 is one of the best smartphones I ever had. Underrated like the Sony PS Vita!

OG, 08 Sep 2019How did you upgrade to 9.0Try looking on XDA developers website for O/S updates they maybe able to help

• OG

Asad, 26 Aug 2019This is really a solid device... I had very bad experience with ... moreHow did you upgrade to 9.0

• AIKAWA

your battery percentage is too poor?

me too, how about your battery use?

• Lgg5 user

• hicham nabooo

GeneTan2, 26 Jun 2019Very BAD Battery Life, 2 Hours Of Gaming. best phone ever it works fastly ..ilove it day after day

• jazz

Phone is nice but now the back power button is not working and also the volume button is not decrease the volume. Is it caused due to dust inside or battery issue? any idea?

• Ravaka

Anonymous, 11 Dec 2015please put 4000 mah battery lg.I was hoping for that too

• Joseph Stalin

Had it for 3+ years, happy with performance and picture quality. However 2800mAh is not enough and the build quality is very poor. But that's due to design things like removable battery, bottom piece. Also had problems with GPS signal and audio jack.

• Asad

This is really a solid device... I had very bad experience with its stock UI but after installing lineage OS 9.0 its working blazingly fast.

Kingslayer, 11 Aug 2019LG G5 will go as one of the most underrated retro smartphones of... moreWhat's the make of the 3200mah battery

LG G5 reclaimed its throne as the best smartphone I ever had. Definitely my favorite again.

Nomore overheating thanks to updating to Nougat 7.0 and latest security patch (December 2017). The image retention is pretty much gone with the blue light filter app and just using a plain black wallpaper and black theme. The battery lasts longer with the red 3200 mAh battery and it fast charges again. I need to charge it to 100% as the first 1% drain can last over 20 minutes.

It's main weakness is GPS as I tested it doing DoorDash and it can get wonky but it is still usable. The software update actually fixed my Wi-Fi issues and it's the only smartphone that can consistently connect to my router at home. An underrated aspect to the G5 is it is very easy to repair. Something I can't say with many current flagships.

I plan to keep this phone and use it as multimedia player for years and years. I'll just keep buying newer dated third-party batteries to keep it going...

Favorites
1. LG G5
2. Google Pixel 3
3. Essential Phone

Wanting to buy another Essential Phone after my first one broke two months ago. But unlike the G5, it's going to be far more difficult to replace the battery and find parts for it. The LG G5 and V20 were the last flagships to offer removable battery and easy to repair. It also uses IPS which lasts longer than AMOLED.

Once the Essential Phone battery is dead, it becomes a paperweight. At least with Google Pixels, I can always go to uBreakitiFixit, their official repair shops. The modular design of the LG G5 offers far more longevity in case the display breaks or it needs another battery to keep it working for several more years. Unicorn device.

Kingslayer, 11 Aug 2019LG G5 will go as one of the most underrated retro smartphones of... moreYour right ,g G5 is really good, it's just that the OEM battery doesn't last long.

Jardon6, 03 Aug 2019Why the battery can't charge with charger when drained completely Charger isn't original

LG G5 will go as one of the most underrated retro smartphones of all-time.

No bootloops. Can use it for as long as it still works. Will keep buying newer dated third-party batteries for it as that's better than older dated OEM batteries. The 3200 mAh battery tends to drain slowly if charged to 100% as I lose 1% after 20+ minutes. So I charge it up to 100% until it reaches 40%.

This is one of the best of all-time for me and better than the Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, S5, Note 1-4, or any Samsung that offered removable batteries. Only the LG V20 is slightly better than it but I had to sell mine because I couldn't stand the size.