LG Velvet

LG Velvet

• Morad

Zaher , 26 Sep 2021I have updated my mobile phone operating system to Android ... moreHow did you get the update
Im stuck with Android 10

Zaher , 26 Sep 2021I have updated my mobile phone operating system to Android ... moreOLED screen problems

• Zaher

I have updated my mobile phone operating system to Android 11, but after the update there is a problem in the color accent, the top list always remains dark in night mode even though night mode is not active, I have reset to the factory settings, but the problem always remains.Iam in Germany

Joel maguru, 29 Aug 2021Mine Is a quick one regarding the sound. While transmitting... moreQuick answer - YES.

Mine Is a quick one regarding the sound. While transmitting wireless maybe through the Bluetooth headphones, does that alter the sound quality?

• Young father

RishiGuru, 18 Jun 2021To me it is perfectly fine if you like the audio or sound s... moreFantastic! Thanks a lot for your explanations! I suppose most of the people here are really excited!

RishiGuru, 18 Jun 2021To me it is perfectly fine if you like the audio or sound s... more✍,Amazing knowledge great information about sound quality. THANK YOU SO MUCH 🙏

Manny Bakshi, 25 Jun 2021Thanks for your inputs about dac and quad dac in various fo... moreThank you my friend.

RishiGuru, 22 Dec 2020LG Velvet (Snapdragon 845) most probably uses Qualcomm'... moreThanks for your inputs about dac and quad dac in various forum, i have learnt a lot by your posts, just created acc here to upvote and thank you.

PsiPhi, 31 May 2021We have in our household a G6, G7 thinq and a Velvet. Pe... moreTo me it is perfectly fine if you like the audio or sound signature of LG Velvet more than some QuadDAC laden phones like LG G7.

First we need to understand we all measure sound quality in a subjective way. Everything is going on in our head. So every person have their own standards, their own inclination towards a certain sound signature. And this is perfectly fine.

The LG's famous QuadDAC audio processor that powered models like G6, V30, G7, V35, V40, G8, V50, V50S, G8X is none other than ESS designed Sabre ES9218P. This audio processor was designed in such a way so as to custom tune the final sound signature and tonality at hardware level. Different types a digital filters was applied and custom discrete circuitry was implemented along the input stage of QuadDAC on different models.

This is where famous audio houses like Bang & Olufsen (B&O) and Meridian Audio comes into picture. LG then made partnership with these famous tuning houses so as to custom tune QuadDAC in the phone's hardware level and attain their signature sound. This led the same QuadDAC to have drastically different sound signatures depending upon who tuned it. Look no further than B&O tuned LG V30+ & Meridian tuned LG G8X. Same high fidelity sound with sound signatures that are poles apart. So V30+ and G8X have a certain flavor in the sound, which are distinct and I love both. G7+ was tuned by LG, so it had different sound signature, though very close to B&O. So this means you may not like the G7's sound so much but you may like G8X sound more than Velvet.

LG's QuadDAC camp is divided into two groups. There are those you like B&O tuning favoring G7, V30, V35. These guys also like LG tuning which can be found in G7 and is very close to B&O. But the majority I have seen likes Meridian tuned QuadDAC as it follows a more humane and less clinical approach towards final sound signature. A more raspy and energetic sound. These guys like V40, V50, V50S & G8X.

As you posted here I assume you are using the LG Velvet (LTE) smartphone. This phone comes with Snapdragon 845 paired with the best flagship grade audio processor Qualcomm ever made. I am taking about the Qualcomm Aqstic WCD9341 which does the audio related tasks in Velvet.

In terms of pure audio specification, playback capability and sound quality, the WCD9341 is right up there with ES9218P. The only area where it looses to QuadDAC is in headphone jack output power, any headphones above 50 ohms impedance just shines with QuadDAC. But only 10% of all headphones available on the market is rated > 50 ohms as they are hard to drive.

There is another catch related to WCD9341. The audio processor can be implemented on a phone in low power (6mW) or high performance mode (34mW). As in high performance mode the power consumption is more than 5 times, most smartphone manufacturers implement them in low power mode. Not so for LG & Meizu as these manufacturers value audio quality through headphone jack.

My first encounter with WCD9341 happened with Meizu 16th, their flagship of 2018. This phone better known as just 16 in China not only implemented the WCD9341 in high performance mode with dedicated power rails drawn straight from phone power management IC but also used high quality audio grade resistors & capacitors supporting the audio processor. Not only that, the entire audio circuitry along the WCD9341 was shielded separately from the main Snapdragon 845 SoC and other digital chips in the circuit board to minimize any electromagnetic interference.

Regardless, I was blown to smithereens as the Meizu 16th was reaching the level of sound quality though audio jack which I am only accustomed and expect to find in QuadDAC laden LG flagships and Vivo flagships with Cirrus Logic audio processors. After hearing for an hour with few of my high end earphones, I concluded Qualcomm have entered the true HiFi arena. At least this holds true for their flagship Qualcomm Aqstic WCD9341.

As your Velvet is just as good as my Meizu 16th in terms of sound quality. I rate my 16th as high as my LG V30+, LG G8X & Vivo NEX S.

AdityaJeena, 29 May 2021mi 11x / Samsung a52 /lg wing /nord /velvet / pixel 4a soo... moreAccording to ur preferences i would recommend u to move for either A52 or pixel 4a....u can use both phones easily for 3 years or more....u will get timely updates too.....if it is me then i will go for A52

• PsiPhi

We have in our household a G6, G7 thinq and a Velvet.

Personally I prefer the Velvet to the G7 quad DAC for listening to music. It just sounds better to my ears.

Lots of people like the SABRE DACs, but I am not one of them. Just personal preference I guess - what a suprise though, we fully expected the G7 to be the favorite. Multiple listeners, multiple tests. No accounting for taste I guess!

Anonymous, 06 May 2021Mi note 10 lite vs LG velvet 4g:?LG Velvet 4G anytime.

AdityaJeena, 29 May 2021mi 11x / Samsung a52 /lg wing /nord /velvet / pixel 4a soo... moreHi, Aditya, Thanks for asking. First, eliminate the zero value mobiles from your list like Nord and Mi 11x as they are Chinese items. I never prefer some good spec vs your privacy. I wont talk about these two. Now, lets talk about other options. According to your requirements and priorities my sequence are as follows:
LG Wing: This mobile tops the list. 5G with SD 765G is capable of both good gaming. Great cameras and ad free UI. A fair battery, good for use whole day in different conditions. You can check my battery reviews on LG Wing page. LG promises for updates till Android 13 so, no issues regarding these points. 5G capability makes it future proof. Good for media watching and multi tasking.
LG Velvet: It is 4G mobile with Flagship SD845 which has a great/raw performance. You can play games in higher settings also. Ad free UI and future updates are promised by LG. Battery is good for 1.5 days in normal use. Camera is good just above average but not better the Wing.
Pixel 4A: 4G mobile with lower performance but excellent in updates. Camera is very good. Battery is just below average. Max 4-5 screen time for low processor is not suitable.
Samsung A52: It is 4G mobile but will launch 5G soon. But still, in 5G it will be SD750G which is lower then Wing and Velvet. Camera is okeysss. Updates are timely. Not flawless performer but Ok.

Conclusions: Price: LG Wing is now just 30K and have best specs with all you need.
Velvet: 36-55K. 4G mobile with premium feel.
Pixel 4A: 30K but with lower specs.
Samsung A52: 25K but with lower spec and average overall.
I would go for LG Wing in any specs you mentioned above. Velvet is good but have 4G only. If you are not in 4G or 5G thing, still I will go for Wing. It holds more values then any other in your options. Innovative Designs and multitasking is great on Wing.
Hope these details will make you mind to go for something different. Thanks

Muzik, 08 Feb 2021Hi, Right now I am using Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and Sony M... moremi 11x / Samsung a52 /lg wing /nord /velvet / pixel 4a
sooo confused....
priorities high to low
performance (light gaming only)
user experience (add free preferably removable if any)
camera battery
updates (intended to use for next 3..4years atleast/almost 🤔

• ummm

Amit, 20 Apr 2021Lg is shutting down its mobile business in July. So not sur... morepersonally i keep reading that they will maintain support for a while, up to a couple of years for certain models. They've even started liquidation priicing, Velvet $280 new and still gets updates, pretty good for LG fans imho.

Mi note 10 lite vs LG velvet 4g:?

what issues with chipset lol? It is like an old horse 845. Pure classics.

• Nate

When will there be a notification light added? That's a bit thing i miss but other wise i have no complaints besides i won't play madden its has issues with chipset n graphics on call settings and this is Phone #2

• Amit

Mayur Zad, 08 Apr 2021LG already confirm! velvet will receive 3 years of major so... moreLg is shutting down its mobile business in July. So not sure this or any other lg phone will get any updates henceforth.