Motorola Moto G4

Motorola Moto G4

• InTheLongRun

So before I start let me just preface this by saying that I love the Moto G4 for a lot of its features that you wouldn't get in a lot of other smartphones on the market.

It has:
1. Longevity
2. Excellent battery life
3. Great video quality
4. Vivid color display
5. Great gaming capability

However, here's my issue with the phone after having it for around 3 years.

1. Parts aren't easily replaceable
This is partly coming from the view of a person who doesn't live in a country where they supply all the parts and accessories to the phone but judging from others experiences with the phone, you'd have to send it back to Motorola or, if you're not under warranty, order it from China. Guaranteed that you won't have to do this for quite a while if you're extremely careful but here comes the other issue.

2. Flimsy build material
Not gonna lie but as much as I liked the initial feel of the phone, you'll be better off getting the G5 as the plastic texture material begins to wear and tear. While you may think this is just about a few scuffs on the phone, it actually extends to the side buttons as well because in comparison to another phone of cheaper quality I've had in the years up to buying this one, the security of the buttons actually mean a lot when handling. I've not seen a lot of people talk about this but trust me, you don't want to be trying to power on your phone one day to discover that the button fell out and you have to resort to a third party app that uses your phone display as a censor to turn it on which brings me to my third problem.

3. Overheating
As many other users before me have explained, overheating is an apparent problem on the Moto G4. It can easily be ignored when you first get the phone as I did so too and just used apps more economically while letting it rest for a while but later down the line you'll be hella annoyed by the inconvenience it brings as the overheating leads to many more problems. Most commonly for me is ghost touching and the phone screen being unresponsive to input due to the overheating. Remember how I told you that in order to turn on my phone I had to install a third party app that uses your phone touchscreen as an on-off censor? Yeah, if you don't import a phone button off e-bay asap, that overheating issue will become more frequent to the point where you can't wake your phone, accept calls, your phone screen turning off and on while in your pocket, opening up unnecessary apps, and draining your battery even faster.

Other than these 3 major issues for me, other minor issues include:

. Issues with the microphone when making calls
. White dots appearing on the phone's LCD
. Phone freezes
. Requiring an external SD Card
. Unnecessary apps
. Replacement of gorilla glass screen after a short fall of the bed

Otherwise, I have no other complaints about the phone and initially it's definitely a "get more that what you paid for" type scenario. However, these issues do pose an issue and if it weren't for them, I'd replace the phone with the exact same version.

Phone went back to Motorola for repair. Front camera never worked afterwards. Sim1 went pop and ceased functioning shortly after.
Otherwise it has been OK. Basic, but functional.
Specs are as good as phones twice the price new. I paid £129 direct from Motorola.
It's now down to half battery life but still works well enough.
Terrible camera though. Lousy, picture quality even in HD. My Nokia N 95 still produces better images.
I wouldn't buy Motorola G5 or newer based on the reliability of this device. Dual sim was my main point of purchase and it (audibly) failed just after 12 months warranty expired.
Nowadays I use it mostly for a hot spot only.

Anonymous, 27 Jul 2019I bought my phone because I know Motorola is a sturdy phone. I'v... moreYou can upgrade this phone to Oreo and give it a new lease of life. Lenovo doesn't do this for you but you can install Oreo 8.1 for Moto G4 Plus on it with an unlocked boot loader and TWRP recovery. I did that recently and I have a stable more up to date phone 😀

For it's price, a very good phone! nice camera, large screen... and I have had no problem last three years

I bought my phone because I know Motorola is a sturdy phone. I've had my phone for 3+ years but now the phone jumps I haven't had a security patch level update since April 2018. If there is a phone out there that I can buy and will keep current without my having to continually have to look into a new phone every few years. That would be great.

• raaara

Anyone knows how to bypass frp in this mobile?

Anonymous, 17 Mar 2019Has been a great phone but unbearably slow now and doesn't hold ... moreSame for me, lasted a really long time but has suddenly got quite slow

Has been a great phone but unbearably slow now and doesn't hold charge like it used to.

I have owned my Moto G4 for just over 2 years. It replaced my Nokia 625 Windows phone. I have been very pleased with its performance, bearing in mind its price, though I had to do a factory reset ~1 year ago as it appeared to have run out of memory (I had formatted a 64GB SD card as internal memory). No further problems since then, though I am thinking of upgrading to a G7 Plus in the near future.

• madi

charging slot broken too fast

• perk

fine but charging port broken too fast. lol

Tarantula, 12 Jan 2019Have had my Moto G4 for over 1 year. It is a very functional pho... moreTurn down the screen brightness.

• bini

Lovvve my MG4. the best quality pictures i get to capture and the ease of functionality of andriod and google apps is like slicing the butter.. Only problem was I accidentally dropped it on a granite floor which obviously cracked its screen still its functional but the cost of replacing the screen is way too much. I rather buy a new phone. BUT I STILL HAVE IT! It is definitely worth the money but dont drop it like it did :(

Worked just fine with no complaints until the charging port died after 2.5 years. Would cost more to fix than the phone was worth.

• Tarantula

Have had my Moto G4 for over 1 year. It is a very functional phone. The issue I have with it is that it scrambles by itself. It makes calls on its own,send e-mailed and does a lot of other uninstructed orders. I have had to always lock my phone for it to stay calm. I had an HTC that has the same problems and gave it away

Completed 2yrs in g4...battery life is poor from the day of purchase ...Ghost touch is a big problem when brightness above 10%,.!!

Worst phone ever, battery dies after 4 months does not read simcard waste of money

• NoMoMoto

Worst phone I have ever had...battery died within 7 months. New battery losing juice. Snaps off for no apparent reason including when battery is above 75%. Absolutely a waste of money. And oh, btw, I have very few apps installed.

Has issues with audio, over bluetooth. Mine has taken to periods where it isn't ringing or notifying of texts. I have to restart to get it ringing again.

• Gandalfdenvite

Gelo, 22 Mar 2018Had it for about a year, it was fine until about a few months ag... moreMy G4 Plus have the same problem with Ghost touches! Motorola have the worst quality control of all phone manufacturers, some G4/G4 Plus have no problem at all, my G4 is perfectly problem free, while other G4/G4 Plus have many problems, my G4 Plus have Ghost touches and a lose micro USB contact! I recommend avoiding everything made by Motorola! The problem is not Lenovo, the problem is Motorola within Lenovo!
My X4 have many annoying software "features", especially the sound/beep everytime it lose network connection, and that happens far too often!