Motorola Moto G7 Power review
Motorola's launch event in Brazil was quite the Carnival. We got not one, not two, but four different Moto G7 devices. We haven't been always keen on this kind of fragmentation, but when done right, the consumers are more than happy to have more choices. So, please buckle up, as today we will take the Moto G7 Power for a ride.
The Power phones aren't new to Motorola, we've seen a couple of those in 2016, though the Android One-enrolled Moto One Power from last Fall is what comes to mind first. The G7 Power is more affordable though, as is the entire G7 lineup.
So, the Moto G7 Power has a large 6.2" 720p display with a notch for the selfie camera. It's not bezel-less, but it's rounded around the corners to match the G7's curves which is a nice touch.
Then we have the Snapdragon 632 chip working beneath that screen for a smooth experience. And looking at the specs of its processor and graphics, we are hopeful for its performance. There is also either 3 or 4 gigs of RAM depending on the storage option you opt for. Oh, and there is a dedicated microSD slot in case you make the wrong choice or just need to store a couple of seasons of your favorite TV show on your phone.
The Moto G7 Power has the same 12MP main camera as the vanilla G7, but behind a darker f/2.0 lens. And there is no secondary sensor for depth info, though the camera app can still shoot those fancy Portraits.
Finally, the Power stands for the beefy 5,000 mAh battery that should keep the lights on for quite some time. The G7 Power also supports 18W TurboPower charging, so it shouldn't take forever to recharge the thing.
Motorola Moto G7 Power specs
- Body: Plastic back and frame; Splash resistant; Corning Gorilla Glass 3 front
- Display: 6.2" LTPS IPS LCD, HD+ 720x1570px resolution display (19.5:9 aspect ratio), 279 ppi.
- Rear camera: 12MP, f/2.0 aperture, 1.25µm; phase detection autofocus, LED flash, Auto HDR. 4K/30fps video recording.
- Front camera: 8MP, f/2.2 aperture, 1.12µm, fixed focus, 1080p/30fps video recording.
- OS/Software: Android 9.0 Pie
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 632 (14 nm): octa-core CPU (4x1.8 GHz Kryo 250 Gold & 4x1.8 GHz Kryo 250 Silver), Adreno 506 GPU.
- Memory: 3/4GB of RAM, 32/64 GB storage; dedicated microSD slot for expansion.
- Battery: 5,000 mAh Li-Po (sealed); 15W or 18W charging.
- Connectivity: Single/dual SIM; LTE Cat. 7 (300Mbps download/50Mbps upload); Type-C USB2.0 port; Wi-Fi b/g/n; GPS, GLONASS; Bluetooth 4.2; FM radio.
- Misc: Rear-mounted fingerprint reader; single speaker - the earpiece; 3.5mm jack.
The Moto G7 Power is shaping as quite an interesting smartphone and should be a must-check for anyone who is after long battery autonomy. We are not that keen on the choice of chipset, but we guess it should perform admirably given the low 720p screen resolution.
Anyway, let's unbox the Moto G7 Power and get this review going.
Moto G7 Power unboxing
The Moto G7 Power is packed within one very nice looking green box. While it's not unique to this Moto, the maker definitely knows how to spice up its retail boxes and we give Motorola credit for that.
Inside the fancy box you'll find the G7 Power itself, a transparent rubber case, a USB-C cable, and a TurboPower charger rated at either 15W or 18W depending on your market.
So, I am in the market for a new device. I have had the Moto z2 Force since it was introduced. I love my z2, but it's starting to show wear and tear, mostly the touch screen. If they would keep updating it and I could just fix the issues, I...
- 21 Dec 2020
You will feel different if you do what I did have the middle speaker cleaned dirt buildup happens over time I had mine cleaned sprayed with air spray a professional technical company cleaned it plus put some sticky tape and all kind of dirt came out ...
- 07 Dec 2020
Have the speaker cleaned there is a buildup in there of dirt or something in that middle speaker a professional technical company cleaned mine also took some sticky tape stuff and a bunch of dirt came out and then they sprayed it with air spray volum...
- 07 Dec 2020