Nokia 5.1 Plus review
Ever since the Nokia brand returned to the smartphone world with the help of HMD, the company has pushed out new phones at a rapid pace. This has allowed the company to have a fresh portfolio at any given moment, and also keep up with the latest market trends.
Recently, the company launched two new mid-range smartphones, the Nokia 6.1 Plus, and the Nokia 5.1 Plus. Both devices capitalize on the latest notch trend in the market, and although many seem to hate it, the sales haven't slowed down, and many people do seem to like these phones, especially people buying budget smartphones that look like more expensive devices, most notably the iPhone.
We have already taken a look at the Nokia 6.1 Plus in our review in the past and today will be focusing on the cheaper Nokia 5.1 Plus that makes this design accessible to even more people.
Nokia 5.1 Plus specs
- Design: 2.5D curved glass, polished aluminum frame
- Display: 5.8-inch, 19:9, 1520x720 IPS LCD, notched
- Chipset: MediaTek Helio P60, 4 x Cortex-A73 1.8GHz + 4 x Cortex-A53 1.8GHz, Mali-G72 MP3
- Memory: 32GB storage, expandable up to 400GB; 3GB LPDDR3 RAM
- Rear Camera: Dual camera; 13MP f2.0 PDAF primary, 5MP depth sensor; 1080p30 video; single LED flash
- Front Camera: 8MP f2.2; 720p30 video
- Software: Android One 8.1 Oreo
- Connectivity: Dual SIM, 4G, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS/GLONASS/BDS/Galileo, USB 2.0 Type-C, 3.5mm audio
- Battery: 3060mAh integrated
- Misc: Single loudspeaker, FM radio, fingerprint sensor
For the price, the phone does come with mostly respectable specifications. However, the competition in this segment is no slouch, so Nokia has its work cut out for it. On paper at least, it seems the company has covered all bases, but we will have to see if that's really the case.
Unboxing the Nokia 5.1 Plus
The Nokia 5.1 Plus comes in a simple package that includes the phone, a standard 10W charger, and a Type-C cable. You will have to spend extra for a headset but don't bother with a fast charger as the phone does not support that feature.
Disclaimer: You might notice that this review is shorter than usual and doesn't include some of our proprietary tests. The reason is it has been prepared and written far away from our office and test lab. Still, we think we've captured the essence of the phone in the same precise, informative and detailed way that's become our trademark. Enjoy the good read!
- Vin PHL
Yes I have mine updated last Nov 5, after a month of that my phone charges slow. I have to restart to fix it. Im waiting for the latest update hoping to fix it
- 10 Jan 2021
My nokia 5.1plus speaker sound is not working until last update . Only massage vibration comes . What i do now?
- 07 Jan 2021
At first it was an amazing phone.. little did I know it will give me problems. Now my phone is on but when someone calls am off, making it worse I don't get I tried to call you notification. I really don't understand it anymore.. someone h...
- 04 Jan 2021