Oppo Reno4 Z 5G review
Oppo just announced the first three of the Reno5 family, and it's likely going to be a large family. How do we know? Well, there are a total of eight Reno4s in our database, and it's one of them that we'll be presenting to you today - the Reno4 Z 5G.
The most affordable of the 5G-enabled 4th-gen Renos, the Z 5G retails for €300 - that's less than half the Reno4 Pro 5G's official asking price and roughly two-thirds of the Reno4 5G's price tag.
The Reno4 Z 5G is powered by a Mediatek Dimensity 800 chipset instead of the Snapdragon 765Gs in the other two. Still, it's not really grounds for concern - a close relative to that SoC, the 800U we got to see recently, performed admirably. Another moderately polarizing bit could be the 6.57-inch LCD. The OLED lovers might scoff at the choice of panel technology, but this one does come with a 120Hz refresh rate. Which brings us to the next point - a 4,000mAh battery with a 120Hz LCD? Sounds a little troubling, but we'll see about that.
Three proper cameras and three sort-of cameras made their way to the Reno4 Z 5G. There's a 48MP primary unit on the back, joined by an 8MP ultra-wide, and then you get a 2MP macro module and a 2MP unit for depth sensing. Another one of those is keeping company to the 16MP selfie camera in a pill-shaped cutout in the display's top left corner.
Oppo Reno4 Z 5G specs at a glance:
- Body: 163.8x75.5x8.1mm, 184g; plastic frame, plastic back.
- Display: 6.57" LTPS IPS LCD, 120Hz, 1080x2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 401ppi.
- Chipset: MediaTek MT6873V Dimensity 800 5G (7 nm): Octa-core (4x2.0 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4x2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G57 MC4.
- Memory: 128GB 8GB RAM; UFS 2.1.
- OS/Software: Android 10, ColorOS 7.2.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 48 MP, f/1.7, 26mm, 1/2.0", 0.8µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.2, 119˚, 1/4.0", 1.12µm; Depth: 2x 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: Wide (main): 16 MP, f/2.0, 26mm, 1/3.06", 1.0µm; Depth: 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps, gyro-EIS; Front camera: 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 4000mAh; Fast charging 18W.
- 5G support: SA/NSA bands 1,3,5,7,8,20,28,38,40,41,77,78.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); NFC; 3.5mm jack.
Oppo Reno4 Z 5G unboxing
For the 4 Z 5G, Oppo chose the usual Reno presentation - a teal sleeve holds the white cardboard box. The contents are fairly standard, too, though the 18W adapter is a bit on the lower end of the power spectrum - it's certainly no 65W SuperVOOC 2.0. If you can put a positive spin on that, it would be that the USB-A-to-C cable isn't proprietary, unlike on the higher-wattage systems.
Also included is a set of earbuds with a 3.5mm plug - the Reno4 Z 5G is nicely old-school in this respect, unlike the other 2 5G-capable Reno4s. You'll find one more useful accessory in the bundle is a protective case, a transparent silicone one.
I'm getting upwards of 8h on 60hz. Something wrong with your battery? Must try 120hz though. Just try 90, a nice little compromise.
- 15 Jan 2021
Oppo has 18w charging out the box. (faster than the Samsung Galaxy S8), and you can buy 65w chargers. That is 0-60 in 15 minutes. Don't complain about the fast charging.
- 15 Jan 2021
Something is not right with this phone. It struggle after a few hours of use. Laggy and slowdown especially in google apps. A restart sorts the problem but then happens again. Is it mediatek processor or color os????? Oppo need to fi...
- 21 Dec 2020