Oppo Reno3 Pro 5G / Find X2 Neo review
Not to be mistaken with the Oppo Reno3 Pro, which was released back in March 2020, the Oppo Reno3 Pro 5G which we have for review here is now making its way to Europe and other parts of the world after a successful debut in China.
Curiously, Oppo has decided to sell the phone as Reno3 Pro 5G in Australia, and Eastern Europe, whereas in Western Europe the phone will be known as Find X2 Neo.
With that out of the way, from here on, we will be calling the phone Reno3 Pro 5G because this is the name of the device we received but keep in mind that our review findings will undoubtedly apply to the Find X2 Neo, too.
Regardless of the name, the phone will draw your attention with solid hardware and premium design. The key standout features are the 5G connectivity (duh!), the 90Hz AMOLED screen, the full set of camera focal lengths (normal, ultra-wide, and telephoto), the premium design and feel, and the 30W fast charging. It also comes with a base storage of 128GB.
Oppo Reno3 Pro 5G
- Body: 159.4x72.4x7.7mm, 171g; Glass front and back (Gorilla Glass 5), aluminum frame.
- Display: 6.50" AMOLED panel, 1080 x 2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 402ppi; 90Hz refresh rate.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM765 Snapdragon 765G (7 nm): Octa-core (1x2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1x2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6x1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver); Adreno 620.
- Memory: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM; UFS 2.1.
- OS/Software: Android 10, ColorOS 7.
- Rear cameras: Wide (main): 48 MP, f/1.7, 26mm (wide), 1/2.0" sensor size; Telephoto: 13 MP, f/2.4, 53mm (telephoto), 1/3.4" sensor size; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.2, 115Ëš (ultrawide), 1/3.2" sensor size; Depth: 2 MP B/W, f/2.4, 1/5.0"; Dual-LED flash.
- Front camera: 32 MP, f/2.4, 26mm (wide), 1/2.8", 0.8Âµm; HDR.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps; gyro-EIS, OIS; Front camera: 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 4,025mAh; VOOC 4.0 Fast charging 30W.
- Misc: Under-display fingerprint reader; NFC.
However, the 5G connectivity might not be an advantage compared to other similarly priced solutions as it drives the price up, and there's no real usability in the better part of Europe. You'd struggle to find a working 5G network in Europe, especially in Eastern Europe, where the phone will sell. And in typical Oppo style, the company has opted for a rather premium launch price tag in a super competitive market segment.
With a starting price of around €630-660 (that's at least the expected price of the Reno3 Pro 5G as per the Find X2 Neo price in the UK), the phone has a lot of proving to do alongside the more established brands in the European market that can afford to charge a price premium. And let's face it, 5G-capabilities won't be such a huge purchase drive in 2020 on the old continent where the demand for mid-range 5G devices is lower than in Asia.
But that doesn't mean there aren't other reasons to consider Oppo's contender for your next upper mid-range smartphone. Let's see how the battery fares, and also if the screen is any good and how it holds as a daily driver.
Unboxing the Oppo Reno3 Pro 5G
The phone comes in a standard package with the usual user manuals, the compatible VOOC 4.0 charger capped at 30W, USB-A to USB-C cable, and a transparent protective silicone case. Interestingly, there's a pair of USB-C earphones, which is nice since the phone doesn't have a 3.5mm audio jack.
I had to weigh in on this as an audio nutcase, both y'all Samath and DroidBoye make valid points, but on some you're brainwashed as hell. Samath man you seem to be on the verge of being the 'audiophile' who every devoted audio eng...
- 26 Jul 2020
You're talking to a student of research so I know what you're saying. So, in short, I can say that "D.Trump is the best President ever" without including the line, "according to my own little sweet methodology", becaus...
- 20 Jul 2020
If you can actually understand what scopes and limitations are, then this is actually the time that you should learn about one. Their decision for the term "excellent" is with their available equipment that they have. "Quality" ca...
- 18 Jul 2020