Poco M3 Pro 5G review
The Poco M3 Pro 5G is yet another phone focused on offering 5G access on a budget. And while it's doubtful many people will be looking for such a thing, the Poco M3 Pro 5G has a lot more to offer than just speedy cellular connectivity.
The new Poco M3 Pro 5G has one particularly rich feature set, for an affordable smartphone that is. There is a 6.5" 90Hz LCD screen, the Dimensity 700 chip with 4GB or 6GB of RAM, a triple camera with a 48MP primary shooter, and a large 5,000 mAh battery capable of 18W fast charging. The phone runs on Android 11 with MIUI 12.
The connectivity options are abundant, too. There is 5G and everything that came before it. NFC is supported, too. You can use FM radio, and there is even a 3.5mm audio jack. The Poco M3 Pro 5G also offers an IR blaster, and it can be your universal remote. Bluetooth 5.1 and dual-band Wi-Fi are also available.
All of this sounds familiar, doesn't it?
That's because the Poco M3 Pro 5G is identical to the Redmi Note 10 5G, sans the different rear panel. While the Redmi had a matte plastic back with a small camera island, the Poco has a glossy glass-like rear cover with this massive black accent for the imagers. And that's how you tell those two apart!
The Poco M3 Pro 5G sure seems like a decent entry-level smartphone, and probably one of its biggest treats is that it's cheaper than the Redmi Note 10 5G sibling. Let's take a closer look at the specs sheet now.
Xiaomi Poco M3 Pro 5G specs at a glance:
- Body: 161.8x75.3x8.9mm, 190g; Gorilla Glass 3 front, plastic back, plastic frame.
- Display: 6.50" IPS LCD, 90Hz, 400 nits (typ), 500 nits (HBM), 1080x2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 405ppi.
- Chipset: MediaTek MT6833 Dimensity 700 5G (7 nm): Octa-core (2x2.2 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6x2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G57 MC2.
- Memory: 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM; UFS 2.2; microSDXC.
- OS/Software: Android 11, MIUI 12.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 48 MP, f/1.8, 26mm, 1/2.0", 0.8µm, PDAF; Macro: 2 MP, f/2.4; Depth: 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 8 MP, f/2.0, (wide).
- Video capture: Rear camera: 1080p@30fps; Front camera: 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; Fast charging 18W.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); FM radio; Infrared port; 3.5mm jack.
Two things we would have liked to see improved on this Poco M3 Pro 5G by looking through its specs sheet. Some splash resistance would have been nice, and maybe the Dimensity 800U would have been the better choice. But at €179, we are still happy with what we get.
Unboxing the Poco M3 Pro 5G
The Poco M3 Pro 5G is packed within one of those signature yellow boxes, and you know there is a Pocophone inside even before you lay eyes on the actual branding. The bundle covers the basics and then some. Inside the box, you'll find a 22.5W charger and a USB-C-to-A cable.
The Poco M3 Pro 5G also ships with a transparent silicone case with a protective cover over the charging port - this way, it will be exposed to much less pocket lint.
The phone also arrives with this thin and cheap screen protector. It is good against scratches but is one giant smudge magnet, and we peeled it off right away.
Finally, you also get a bunch of Poco stickers, so you can show your love for Poco wherever you like - laptop, monitor, desk, fridge, and why not your car, right?
just bought a Poco M3 Pro 5G 6gb/128gb for $180 in aliexpress... best deal i see. got one for myself..just because the price is very awesome
- 18 Oct 2021
Yes. Absolutely no need for 5G.
- 04 Oct 2021
Yes, in countries where 5G still isn't a thing
- 16 Sep 2021