ZTE Axon 20 5G review
World's first under-display camera
The ZTE Axon family has a long-standing history of industry firsts. Now, they bring us the world's first commercially available device with an under-display selfie camera, the Axon 20 5G. That's something we've been waiting ever since the first notched phones arrived.
One would expect that such a breakthrough feature will be paired with top-notch hardware. However, ZTE wants to play it safe this time around, and the under-display camera has been coupled with a mixture of high-end and midrange hardware. But the main selling point here is clearly the display. If you are making rid of the cutouts, it only makes sense to use a proper display as well.
ZTE Axon 20 5G specs at a glance:
- Body: 172.1x77.9x8.0mm, 198g; Glass front, glass back, aluminum frame.
- Display: 6.92" OLED, 1B colors, 90Hz, 1080x2460px resolution, 20.5:9 aspect ratio, 388ppi; Always-on display.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7250 Snapdragon 765G (7 nm): Octa-core (1x2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1x2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6x1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver); Adreno 620.
- Memory: 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM; microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot, up to 2TB).
- OS/Software: Android 10, MiFavor 10.5.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 64 MP, f/1.8, 25mm, 1/1.72", 0.8µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.2, 120˚, 16mm; Macro: 2 MP, f/2.4; Depth: 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 32 MP, f/2.0, (wide), under display.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30fps, gyro-EIS, HDR, 10‑bit video; Front camera: 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 4220mAh; Fast charging 30W, Quick Charge 4+.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (under display, optical); NFC; Sound on Display, under-display selfie camera; only 8GB/128GB available in Europe.
The full-screen panel checks all the boxes - HRR up to 90Hz, HDR support, OLED, and 10-bit color depth. And it's actually one of the biggest in town too. The display measures 6.92" in diagonal, making the phone a bit unwieldy even for users with average-sized hands.
The mid-range part about this phone, though, is the chipset. The Snapdragon 765G offers 5G connectivity and more-than-adequate performance, and it is paired with 128GB of internal storage as a base configuration. The camera setup also leaves something to be desired as it doesn't offer a telephoto camera, and the ultra-wide unit is just 8MP. Also, no stereo speakers.
So is this the typical first-gen product with its own quirks that need fixing, and people will pay the price of early adoption, or there's a lot more to it than a huge, cutout-less screen? We'll see.
Unboxing the ZTE Axon 20 5G
The handset comes inside a standard box containing the appropriate charger with the USB-A to USB-C cable used for charging and data transfer. As a bonus, ZTE has included a transparent silicone case and a 3.5mm to USB-C dongle since the phone doesn't have a headphone jack.
I agree, far to much time and review effort are put into the cameras. Even the so called bad cameras take decent everyday pictures. Wide angle's nice etc...but more on the phone, does it work well when calling.....sort of a MAJOR important poin...
- 17 Apr 2021
Regardless this phone is a major step up in the zte industry at it's price it is no argument for quality and screen size and its hands down display quality!
- 15 Apr 2021
No matter how good a device is, some bribed individuals would established their own negative perception of it. I didn't find anything bad in not having a stereo speakers, underscreen camera Is a great innovation. If you need a stereo speakers ...
- 20 Mar 2021