Google Pixel 5a 5G

Google Pixel 5a 5G

joe nodden, 31 Aug 2021Horrible phone. Why would Google release something this awful. Apparently, to make you post this. It looks they are quite successful 🙂

Anonymous, 31 Aug 2021A lot of people commenting purely on hardware specs and the... moreLmao you say "Google's Pixel experience" like you're some Google spokesperson and as if there aren't third party skins that are better than "Google's Pixel experience". For years (up until they became a terrible company) OnePlus' OxygenOS was way better than any stock Pixel. And I'm no skin analyzer so I can't give examples but I'd imagine they aren't the only ones.

ScumbagSolaire, 31 Aug 2021Upgrading From Pixel 2 My experience with the Pixel 2 wa... moreThx for your review, bro

• Mike

It's a shame that this phone is not available in Canada

Upgrading From Pixel 2

My experience with the Pixel 2 was so good that I decided that I was never going to deviate from stock Android. That being said, I don't feel that it's fair for me to give gripes and accolades just yet; seems like it's too soon.

I will say, as somebody who is not a complete idiot when it comes to phones, I have a good idea of what's good, and what is hot garbage. The Pixel 5A hasn't blown my mind, but it's a veritable upgrade from my 3 year old Pixel 2.

So far, battery life, screen brightness, max volume, and the cameras are a huge win for me, personally.

If you're coming from a much more recent phone, I could understand the pissing and moaning, but for what it is versus a phone that is 3+ generations older, it's an enormous upgrade in all the right departments.

Some people say that Samsung has a better phone at this price point, but screw em; stock Android is king.

joe nodden, 31 Aug 2021Horrible phone. Why would Google release something this awful. A lot of people commenting purely on hardware specs and then state "well, this Chinese model XYZ has far better specs for the price" which is true. But, the 5a is being released only in the US and Japan. Unlike those cheap Chinese phones and cheaper Samsung models, the 5a supports all the necessary bands for US. For example, almost none of them support B13 for Verizon in the US which is practically required for coverage area.

In addition to Google's Pixel experience, you have to judge it based on the market it's for. The US has the largest number of possible LTE/NR bands to support which the 5a does and the cheap alternatives don't. The only ones it's missing is mmWave support.

Anonymous, 31 Aug 2021DOA? https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-5a-ov... morePixel 4a have heating problem

Dont understand why not coming to Asia Oceana????

ElioX, 30 Aug 2021The phone SHOULD have a chipset that it can make use of. No... morethis is what I read in the comments of other phones, especially on Xiaomi realme or other Chinese brands from Sony, Samsung or Pixel fans. people also ask for more like you said.

ElioX, 30 Aug 2021The phone SHOULD have a chipset that it can make use of. No... moreWhat the hell are you talking about? Where the hell are you getting "70%" from? What bs statistic is that?

Horrible phone. Why would Google release something this awful.

mattlach, 30 Aug 2021Honestly, Pixel Devices are the only phones I am even consi... moresamsung delivers patches for equally long duration these days. A52s beats this phone by huge margins. anyways i agree the only to buy this phone is for the "google experience"!

Anonymous, 29 Aug 2021Ridiculous outdated phone, forget it😂😂😂😂 nice comment!

rizki1, 30 Aug 2021$450 with SD 765G, GG3? this phone must have at least SD 77... moreThe phone SHOULD have a chipset that it can make use of. No reason to put sd888 if it can function at 70% of its power. This phone delivers what it IS MADE FOR. This is THE BEST a midrange phone can get on Android.

Customers always want more. You put sd778 they ask for 888. You pit that,they ask for 888+. You put ipx5 they ask for ip67. You put 67 they ask for ip68. You pit that they ask for mil-std.

There is no end for what customers think as of "should". Lately what I observe is people CREATE needs and DEMAND the cheapest way to solve it...

$450 with SD 765G, GG3? this phone must have at least SD 778G and GG6 and i know they won't give victus.

• mattlach

AverageIndianUser, 29 Aug 2021i dont think 128 gb storage is enough at all. i have 400gb+... moreHonestly, Pixel Devices are the only phones I am even considering these days.

They get security patches before almost every other official ROM, and that's really what matters above all else. Performance is middling, but hey, this is not a gaming desktop PC or professional workstation. It is a phone. Performance really doesn't really matter much in a phone, as long as the interface is responsive, and your email and web apps run.

I don't know what y'all are doing with your phones that requires such ridiculous amounts of storage and transfer speeds. I've had a 128GB phone now for 2+ years, and I've come nowhere even close to filling it. My phone gets used for basic web/email when I have to be on the go. Anything heavier than that I prefer to do on a proper desktop PC, as it is a much better user experience than even the most expensive high end phone on the market.

I don't really care much about the camera (I have an SLR if I want to take fancy pictures, and pretty much any cellphone camera is sufficient to take a spur of the moment hipster shot of my plate of food if I should be overcome by that silly desire). Same with 5G bandwidth. For email/Web anything 10-15Mbit/s is more than sufficient. I don't need 5G. Only reason I'm buying a 5G phone is to be future proof as far as coverage goes, as 5G transmitters on towers start outnumbering LTE transmitters in the next few years.

It really comes back to the fact that no one buys a Pixel phone for the hardware (except maybe the fancy GSM/CDMA switching tech if you happen to be on Google Fi, and who knows how long that will even be needed after the T-Mobile/Sprint merger. I'd imagine they will eventually phase out CDMA). You buy it for the best in class software and security updates.

Ridiculous outdated phone, forget it

AverageIndianUser, 29 Aug 2021i dont think 128 gb storage is enough at all. i have 400gb+... moreYou are free to choose. I don't think you are forced to try any device. I for one would never go to sony phones knowing their android update history. But you seem to be expert in android. So I will leave it to you

AverageIndianUser, 29 Aug 2021its a waste phone. you can defend as much as you want. idcGreat to know. You made your point which is you don't understand about android/linux or even the history of pixel devices that you judge. You are now free to leave this device's comments page. See you anywhere else