HTC Desire Z

HTC Desire Z

Oops, looks like the hyperlink isn't working so here's the link for you to copy and paste:

This might of some interest to most of you's who have a G1, but it'll probably come to G2 quite soon.

Below is a link to an Engadget post of a working Honeycomb port for the G1, a video of the port on the G1 is also included in the post:
HTML

tc on the time its took you to decide while you are just moaning about every little thing....htc have brought out a new qwerty phone...get a grip

• jj

I have updated recently my desire Z to the last OTA (seems to have been activated 2 days ago) and it seems to me it goes pretty much better. Battery performance has improved. The phone, before, could end the day almost depleting the battery. Now, it has been 1d and 9h and the battery still has 20%. The phone does not have some lags I appreciated before. In general, a very positive update. Have you experienced the same?

The best ,nothing more to say,just the best.

AnonD-252, 24 Feb 2011When I am in bed watching a movie on my phone I hold it only in ... morethe only solution to that problem is to pick your phone carefully. almost every phone that came out has its own flaws... there is no such thing as the perfect phone. if you're worried about the hinge, u can try other brands. as a desire z user, i'm quite satisfied with it's performance. sure i also worry about the hinge. so that's why i take good care of it. happy phone hunting.

AnonD-123, 23 Feb 2011The lying on your back position can result in the screen droopin... morei know what you mean. i do the same so that the screen would not fall or move while lying on my back.

• qwerty fan

when will the HTC Merge be out into the market?

ankur, 28 Feb 2011i m puzzle in buying htc derire and desire z which one is the be... moreThey are both very similar. The Desire Z is newer and has better specs. Desire Z has a faster processer, more built it storage and a physical keyboard. Both will be getting Gingerbread later this year.

• ankur

i m puzzle in buying htc derire and desire z which one is the best phone

Anonymous, 26 Feb 2011Merge is for US Verizon, its not a GSM phone. The Merge is both GSM and CDMA.

AnonD-123, 25 Feb 2011The 4 mm edge of the screen half of the phone is also slanted an... moreMerge is for US Verizon, its not a GSM phone.

AnonD-252, 24 Feb 2011I hold all my phones on the very edge of the screen when it is t... moreI cant get you, i tried and i cant hold only the screen part. the closest i came was to hold it between my index fingers by applying an inwards force, but no sane person would hold a fone that way.

AnonD-252, 24 Feb 2011I hold all my phones on the very edge of the screen when it is t... moreThe 4 mm edge of the screen half of the phone is also slanted and rounded. If you do try to hold only this part of the phone, it is more likely to slip from your fingers before the keyboard half opens. It's probably only 2.5 mm slanted and then the other 1.5 mm is rounded away even more.

If you are so against the Z hindge, perhaps the HTC Merge is more to your liking. It features a physical keyboard as well. Information on this phone is rather limited right now, but the keyboard mechanism appears to be a slider instead of the Z hinge mechanism of the Desire Z.

• Desire Z

Stuntman respect for the good things you telling about the desire z.Iff somebody wants 2know something stuntman always gives a good answer about the phone good work m8

AnonD-123, 24 Feb 2011If you are holding the phone in landscape mode above your head w... moreI hold all my phones on the very edge of the screen when it is tilted down when I watch movies and I hold the phone above me, so 4 mm is more than enough. This is a problem that some professional reviewers have concern about, and they obviesly watch movies in bed holding the phone exactly like I am.
No other phone have a this lose hinge, definetly not N97 mini.
A big company as HTC should know better than make a hinge like this, especially when the phone is so very heavy as Z is.

AnonD-252, 24 Feb 2011When I am in bed watching a movie on my phone I hold it only in ... moreIf you are holding the phone in landscape mode above your head while lying in your bed, the screen part of the phone is only 4 mm thick. It is unlikely that you would hold the phone by the screen part only. The finger you use to support the phone will most likely also cover the keyboard part of the phone. Most people when they hold this phone will place their finger in the middle of the side of the phone which means the finger will be supporting both the keyboard part and the screen part.

I don't know how you hold your devices. You seem to come up with creative ways to hold phones in a manner which most people would not. If you do only grip the screen part, then you would likely have the same issue with the SE X Pro. The keyboard part of the phone is generally the heavier side. If you only grip the screen side, then as you move the phone around, gravity will likely pull the keyboard down even for sliders. I also have an N97 which has a spring with more tension. If I only grip this phone on the screen part and then move it around, I can get the keyboard to also fall down due to gravity and some moderate motion.

Instead of trying to find problems with the Z hinge of the Desire Z, why not just try to see how you could hold it without the keyboard opening or closing? It's not that hard and not that cumbersome.

AnonD-1710, 23 Feb 2011i agree with you. nobody picks up his desire z by only the half ... moreWhen I am in bed watching a movie on my phone I hold it only in "the screen-part" because the screen is tilted down a little and resting on my fingers, but when my hand get tired and I change position gravity will open the keyboard and its weight will make me drop the phone because I am only holding in the screen part.
I am not trying to give Z a bad reputation, I actually like Z and could end up buying it, Pro could be to expensive or have some other problems specific for Pro, but the z-hinge is a real design-problem.
It is very possible to pick upp the phone holding only the half part, even though that is not the intention but you could be in a hurry and not looking carefylly on how you pick up the Z.

Placement of the keys are standard on all qwerty-keyboards, q followed by w followed by e..., but some bad keybords have to little space between the keys or the keys do not have enough travel when the are pressed, and it is only those bad keyboards that have long learning periods for the user. The symbols on top of keys that demand using function-key may need some learning, but typing normal letters on the qwerty need no lerning-period if the keybord is not bad. The problem with Z is the to small space between keys and the "travel" when the keys are pressed is to short.

AnonD-1710, 23 Feb 2011the proper usage of the phone will make it last longer. also, it... moreThe lying on your back position can result in the screen drooping down. The way I get around it is I hold the screen up with my index finger as I type with my thumbs.

AnonD-252, 17 Feb 2011You should not hold IPhone4 normaly, and Z should not be used in... morethe proper usage of the phone will make it last longer. also, it always depends on the design construction on which how you should use or rather hold it. some have sturdy slide mechanisms, others have a loose construction. but that doesn't mean that one is inferior to the other. taking good care of your phone makes it last longer. if you are disappointed of your phone, you can always replace it. sell it, or swap it with a phone that meets your criteria. As for me, I've been using my desire z for a month now. sure i also noticed that the hinges a little loose whenever i try to use it lying on my back. I have read most of the comments here regarding the HINGE. After numerous times of sliding the keyboard, I'm still satisfied with the overall performance of the phone.