HTC Desire Z

HTC Desire Z

• Yugam11

Stuntman, 23 Nov 2010It's sunny here today, so I went outside during lunch to see how... moreThanks alot ,it ws extremly helpful I was waiting for Asia launch and now I m a bit more determined to buy this phone...........

• 0v0

yomero911, 24 Nov 2010thanks for repley, my problem is to buy Bell (Canada) from USA, ... moreur English plz. so we can understand & help u>

• /Leanne

phone is AMAZING! very responsive, hinge is fine *touch wood* great sound quality and app market is brilliant...would DEF. recommend even over the desire itself - and i wanted that (the original desire) from the day it was announced! well done HTC

• IceKitty

0v0, 24 Nov 2010Which is better, This or Nokia E7? cos i am confused. tnxThe HTC Desire Z is much better than the Nokia buy no mistake

• yomero911

Stuntman, 23 Nov 2010I got my phone from Bell (Canada) which happens to be the networ... morethanks for repley, my problem is to buy Bell (Canada) from USA, not where or how?, you help me with some website?

In Bell told me not to make shipments to the United States

thanks in advance

• ani

@stuntman - i wanted to ask u this.......in the desire Z, is there an option to type thru the touch interface in the landscape mode too.......i.e does the qwerty keyboard option pops up in landscape mode on turning the phone horizontally, so that we cud type without opening the keyboard ???????

• 0v0

Which is better, This or Nokia E7?
cos i am confused.
tnx

• Stuntman

yomero911, 23 Nov 2010well.. can i buy this phone from bell (canada)? from USA? .. wh... moreI got my phone from Bell (Canada) which happens to be the network I'm on. It's the Desire Z with the Sense UI and not the G2.

If you are from the US, you'll have to ask someone else about unlocking it as I'm not familiar with how to do that.

• Stuntman

Anonymous, 22 Nov 2010thanks bro thanks alot...phone is now appealing me more..how is ... moreIt's sunny here today, so I went outside during lunch to see how the screen looks while in the sun. It's actually pretty good. I did some FB and Twitter stuff and did not have any issue seeing. I also launched Google Maps as well. I did notice that I needed a few moments for my eyes to adjust. The first thing I saw was the finger prints on the screen. After a few moments, I didn't notice them anymore.

dfhb

• yomero911

well.. can i buy this phone from bell (canada)? from USA? .. where? how? .. i need this.. not the t-mobile g2.. ! please

• Stuntman

The screen is really nice. The higher resolution makes the images a bit crisper. The browser on the Desire Z is better than the one on the N97, so it is difficult to make a really controlled comparison. I do have Opera Mini on both, but the font settings seem to be slightly different. I use a larger font on the N97, but still with the smaller font on the Desire Z, I can read text very well. As expected, the higher resolution and slightly larger screen give the Desire Z an edge.

I haven't had much of an opportunity to try out the Desire Z in sunlight. It gets dark here early now. There was only one day that I pulled out my Desire Z in mid-day sunshine and just glanced at it. I thought that under sunlight, the N97 screen was more visible.

As for the camera, I thought they were about the same. I don't use it for taking pictures or videos much. I took a few and only looked at them on the phone, so cannot say much about the picture quality. I did take one night time video of my friend trying to drive through the snow. It seemed pretty clear for a night time video. I didn't do the same for the N97, so do not have a good baseline to compare the two.

There is no lens cover on the Desire Z. I did notice scratches forming on the N97 due to the lens cover issue. The lack of a lens cover on the Desire Z does not appear to be an issue. The way the camera is set up, the glass is not flush with the back of the phone on the Desire Z. The frame around the camera protrudes a fraction of a millimeter out compared to the glass. This way, when you rest the phone on a surface, the frame prevents the glass from contacting the surface to prevent scratches. You may get finger prints on the lens as you handle the phone, but finger prints can be easily dealt with by wiping the lens.

Stuntman, 22 Nov 2010My understanding is that the hinge was designed to be loose so t... morethanks bro thanks alot...phone is now appealing me more..how is screen and camera compare to n97???? :)))) again thanks in advance

• Stuntman

yugam11, 22 Nov 2010please help........ is hinge irritating or its just fine? and ... moreMy understanding is that the hinge was designed to be loose so that the keyboard is easily opened and closed. It opens and closes without snapping hard into place. It is definitely easier to open and close than the N97.

I do not feel that I'm a good judge of the longevity of the hinge. I only have this phone for 2 weeks. It hasn't shown any signs of weakening so far. I tend to be careful when opening and closing the keyboard. I'm the same way with my N97. What I do feel is that the N97 hinge seems more sturdy than the Desire Z. The supports on the Desire Z are thinner than the N97. Still the Desire Z hinge feels solid. I tried twisting it while half open and there is no give.

• yugam11

Stuntman, 22 Nov 2010I think it is more personal preference than design flaw. I've u... moreplease help........
is hinge irritating or its just fine?
and do u think hinge is durable like say a period of 2-3 years?
and last
do you think hinge has became comparatively loose then it was on the day when u bought the phone??
thanks in advance...it will be hugely helpful if u do replied

• Stuntman

Anonymous, 21 Nov 2010Yea, the nature of the Z mechanism means that the top row is waa... moreI think it is more personal preference than design flaw. I've used 3 different smartphones with keyboards: Nokia N97, BlackBerry Tour and HTC Desire Z. All three are designed differently and have a completely different feel to it.

I am most used to the N97 as I used it most often and have had it for 7 months. The BB keys are just way too close for my liking. I also rarely type on it, so I always have difficulties using it when I do. I got this at work shortly after getting the N97, but still have difficulties using it.

The Desire Z is the one I have that replaced the N97. Initially, I did have difficulties using it. I can understand the issue of the top row being close to the screen. At least for me, it took some time to get used to and adjust my technique. It took me several weeks before I was able to reach a comfortable typing speed on my N97. My typing on the Desire Z is not there yet, but I have made steady improvement over the past two weeks of using it.

The hinge I would say could have been designed better. I think users would prefer a hinge that can remain in place against the force of gravity. Gravity does not cause the N97 keyboard from closing, but it does cause the Desire Z from closing. If I am lying on my back with the phone above me, I have to prop the screen open with my index fingers to prevent gravity from causing it to flip down and close on the keyboard while I use my thumbs to type.

• sidd

yotavzki, 18 Nov 2010does it hav a flash supportYes it does ..Flash 10

when will this phone be available in asian countries??????
i m waiting for this phone for a long time. the other option available is samsung galaxy s which i liked very much. but i dont want to settle for it. i want to go for desire z.
also is the z hinge very bad?
pls anyone who has bought this phone tell me its price. i hav a budget of 550 to 600 dollars. but not more than that.
pls guys waiting for your reply. pls help me out.

Anonymous, 16 Nov 2010whats the main prblm with the keyboard for u? The top row is to ... moreYea, the nature of the Z mechanism means that the top row is waaay too close the screen. Serious design flaw that. Also, although the overall feel is solid, I do find the Z hinge to be a little too loose for my tastes.

• Haneef

yotavzki, 18 Nov 2010does it hav a flash supportIt shud have Flash considering the fact that it will come with 2.2 Froyo