Huawei P Smart 2019 review
Larger screen with a trendy notch, newer chipset, bigger battery, and a current OS version - it sure sounds like Huawei has ticked a lot of boxes to bring an already successful formula to the year 2019. It's the Huawei P Smart 2019 we're talking about, the follow up to the smartphone that happened to be the star of one of our most read reviews last year.
The P Smart 2019 swaps out the 5.65-inch 18:9 display of last year's model for a larger (6.21-inch) and more contemporary 19.5:9 aspect panel that also has a waterdrop notch - you can't accuse Huawei of not staying on top of trends. In fact, it's even got the latest Android too, 9.0 Pie - few models in the segment can say the same thing.
The 2019 version comes with an updated chipset - the in-house Kirin 710 replaces the 659 of the predecessor bringing a bump in manufacturing process (12nm vs. 16nm). And to go with the improved efficiency, you're also getting an increased battery capacity - 3,400mAh vs. the 3,000 of the original P Smart.
Huawei P Smart 2019 specs
- Body: Plastic body, 155.2 x 73.4 x 8.0 mm, 160g; Midnight Black, Aurora Blue, Sapphire Blue, Coral Red color schemes.
- Display: 6.21" IPS LCD, 1,080 x 2,340px, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 415ppi.
- Rear camera: Primary 13MP, f/1.8 aperture, 26mm equiv. focal length; phase detect autofocus; secondary 2MP depth sensor.
- Front camera: 8MP, f/2.0 aperture, 26mm equiv. focal length; fixed focus lens.
- OS/Software: Android 9.0 Pie, EMUI 9.
- Chipset: Kirin 710: octa-core CPU (4x2.2GHz Cortex-A73 + 4x1.7GHz Cortex-A53); Mali-G51 MP4 GPU.
- Memory: 3GB of RAM; 32/64GB storage; microSD card slot (hybrid).
- Battery: 3,400mAh (sealed), 5V/2A charging (no Huawei SuperCharge).
- Connectivity: Dual SIM; Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.2; microUSB 2.0, 3.5mm jack.
- Misc: Rear-mounted fingerprint sensor; single, bottom-firing loudspeaker; dual microphones (noise reduction).
Little else has changed in other areas, so the 2019 P Smart comes with what's at first glance the same camera setup - a 13MP primary module with a 2MP depth sensor on the side. The 8MP selfie shooter has been carried over too, but some regions will be getting an alternative 16MP cam on the front - not our review unit, though.
One thing we need call Huawei out for is the missed opportunity to switch to USB-C - the P Smart 2019 still has a microUSB port and that's not very 2019, is it?
We didn't get a strictly retail-grade box, but the contents should include a 5V/2A charger and a microUSB cable to go with it - these two we did get. A pair of earbuds is also part of the retail package. Let's not get too fixated on the peripherals and have a closer look at the phone itself - join us on the next page.
Can you use NFC to pay with visa or MasterCard?
- 14 Dec 2020
I've been using this phone from last March, Good phone indeed with strong battery life and good pictures only in good light conditions, fast charging but with it value i wasn't happy 7000ZAR It was expensive while Huawei Released Y6p wh...
- 30 Nov 2020
Waiting on mine can't wait 💃💃💃💃
- 24 Nov 2020