Nokia N8

Nokia N8

• adam

dosen't GPU stand for Graphics Processing Unit which is the higher the amount the better graphics it has rather than running different apps at once?

* N8 =32 million triangles/sec
* Samsung Galaxy S: S5PC110 with PowerVR SGX540 = 90 million triangles/sec
* Motorola Droid: TI OMAP3430 with PowerVR SGX530 = 7-14 million(?) triangles/sec
* Nexus One: Qualcomm QSD8x50 with Adreno 200 = 22 million triangles/sec
* iPhone 3G S: 600 MHz Cortex-A8 with PowerVR SGX535 = 28 7 million triangles/sec

* PS3: 250 million triangles/sec
* Xbox 360: 500 million triangles/sec

• ALonZo

The looks and features on this phone are fantastic no doubt. But the biggest drawback will be Symbian in my opinion. How many times have people awaited a new Nokia phone and for it to be a big disappointment? Symbian is a respected, but old OS struggling to keep up with the ios and Android.

I can see this phone being a big hit for business users and people wanting to use it as a mini substitute for a PC. It will definately not be a hit when it comes to Apps.

shahid, 13 Sep 2010I agree with u the people who never used android or ios they can... morei use galaxy S..games and videos are good because of its superamoled screen..but even after 1ghz 512 RAM my galaxy s lags here n there.not everyone buy mobile to play games..there are many aspects like camera ,USB on the go ,HDMI help many users..i like to have USBon the go n good camera flash for my galaxy s,but its not in galaxy s..i like my galaxy s but not so perfect..its feels so plastic i bought it costly when it released 1st week in my country..nokia is a reliable handset and symbian is a mature OS..ITS SIMPLE whereas ANDROID is eye candy..so dont judge a device just by one game asphalt..

• Duel

hayato, 13 Sep 2010I guess you're right, and it looks like you know more about mobi... moreMaybe it runs maybe not, i think we get the answer after two weeks or something like that. And everyone dont need smooth game and smooth UI etc. its not that important for everyone.

i think there's two kind of hardcore pc gamers's some of them but all the graphics goodies and really dont care if it isn't 100% smooth, and then there's people who lower graphics goodies because they want to play smooth game like me.

That's why i picked iphone, i really like its smoothness, and it was first real smooth mobile device on the market i first think bought N97 but when i tested it on store it was so laggy and nothing to compared to iphone.

Nowdays almost every hi smartphone is smooth and finally nokia is going there too with N8. I still thinked N8 really needed more memory and more cpu for heavier tasks. How much faster hd video editing could be with faster cpu etc.

• hayato

I'm a teenager, i like games yes, but i'm more of a student, who needs usb otg, free navs, 12mp cam, doc editor[X], hdmi, and many useful s60 apps i've grown to love because of it's utility.

• the Truth

Anonymous, 13 Sep 2010I think symbian hav ugly UI but hav AMAZING feature and functi... moreand thats what make it a failure phone... the spec sux if the os ur ui sux.. remember that.. no point of havnig nice features if the UI sux.... sorry to spill your oil but its the truth.

• hayato

Duel, 13 Sep 2010 "but n8's video of asphalt 4 last on my brain for such a l... moreI guess you're right, and it looks like you know more about mobile games than me, i didn't notice that the first time i watched. I just play games for fun and didn't take it seriously, now you point out the difference i can clearly see it. But still, i guess it's too late for me to turn back, i already planned what to do with n8 when i get mine and i have so much fun just imagining. Haha, i hope n8's final version will improve in terms of gaming.

• Wheez

[deleted post]That's one thing I've always said about this device. It's maybe abit more for grown ups, the free navigation for example, how many pre-teens need that?

When people ask here whether they should get N8 or iPhone, I often tell them to think what they need, if they wanna play games and goof around with applications, iPhone hands down, if you value other functional features like USB OTG, bluetooth3, free navigation, good camera etc, get the N8.

That's the beauty of this too, diversity, get what suits you the best. For me, the N8 is the best balanced device for my needs I could get for the money.

• the FACTS

Wheez, 12 Sep 2010It's only 680Mhz, yes, but the N8 has a dedicated GPU that does ... morewell maybe the N8 might beat the Samsung galaxy s at 1ghs speed with N8 specs but the smoothness and profit wise will never beat iphone 4 and samsng galaxy s wise... hows them apple now huh!! ...

• Wheez

Duel, 13 Sep 2010 "but n8's video of asphalt 4 last on my brain for such a l... moreI'm excited about the GPU for running the OS more than running games, cos I won't be playing games on my phone myself :D

• Sunny

Peter, 13 Sep 2010Exactly.And one more thing after using Samsung Jet [Supposed to be a super fast phone] for 1 year I will never buy another samsung --- Horrible exprnc

• Duel

hayato, 13 Sep 2010I forgot. It's been a long time since i do my research. And i do... more "but n8's video of asphalt 4 last on my brain for such a long time. Maybe it's my first impression on the work"

did i get this right, you say N8 performance with apshalt looked good? and did you mean asphalt5?

you say this runs smooth? actually thats very laggy, i know someone could think it runs fast, because they made the video faster than its really is to make the game feel fast car game.

but if you watch that, there is very slow frame there and there. I really wait to see that game on last version, but what iv seen the same game couple of times on N8 its not run near as good as other platforms.

so its interesting why so many keep saying n8 has amazing gpu, if it is it should run games and couple of day old video of nfs shift game didn't run smoothly either

• Peter

Anonymous, 13 Sep 2010plus add to that handicapped features of galaxy and iphone then ... moreExactly.

Anonymous, 13 Sep 2010Yaa trueplus add to that handicapped features of galaxy and iphone then we get balanced result :)

AMANITA, 13 Sep 2010N8 can never be as fast as iphone or galaxy but Itz a faster sym... moreYaa true

• Me

Anonymous, 13 Sep 2010I think symbian hav ugly UI but hav AMAZING feature and functi... moreSame here,feature is best. I dont care with ui.

• hayato

hayato, 13 Sep 2010I forgot. It's been a long time since i do my research. And i do... moreoops, sorry it's asphalt 5 what i mean.

Ok, galaxy s is good, but even if i decided right now that i like it and want it, it will never be released on my country. Sorry. And it doesn't have 12mp too so i can't be deciding that way, i'm already in love with n8's camera.

• AMANITA

N8 can never be as fast as iphone or galaxy but Itz a faster symbian phone ! Only the games,editors are the tasks where it is slow ! Browsing photos is superfast !

• hayato

Duel, 13 Sep 2010"tried n8 nor iphone or galaxy. But after doing some resear... moreI forgot. It's been a long time since i do my research. And i don't watch galaxy s videos too, since it i think it will never be released on my country, therefore leaving my list too soon. I watch videos of wave and iphone 4 however, they look fantastic but n8's video of asphalt 4 last on my brain for such a long time. Maybe it's my first impression on the work. Let me check the videos once again to refresh my mind. About the need for speed shift video, i watched that video yesterday since one of you posted it in here. The loading problem didn't irritate me that much. As long as the game can be played smoothly with realistic graphics, it's ok for me.