Samsung I5500 Galaxy 5

Samsung I5500 Galaxy 5

• kiran

zoom2_ash, 04 Oct 2010Kiran, if you like the front looks of galaxy3 with that mirror ... morethank u v much..still i wuld like to knw abt de batt life..can u help??

• zoom2_ash

Kiran,
if you like the front looks of galaxy3 with that mirror finish and ready to spend about 3000rs more then go for galaxy3 as it has bigger screen, more cpu, inbuilt office editor, divx and xvid support. But in Rs 9000, galaxy 5 is probabaly the best phone in the market. It is really fast, no lags, no hangs, almost everything like wifi, gps, 3g etc..

• kiran

hi frnds...am very much confused wethr to purchase galaxy 3 or galaxy 5...which one is worth money??

How much ROM does this phone have? HTC Wildfire has 512MB ROM.

• zoom2_ash

I bought Galaxy5 last week and its a great phone in this price range. I bought it in India for Rs 9000. The best thing about the phone is its capacitive screen which so very responsive and also the overall performance of the phone. Despite of just 600 mhz processor, the response and performance of the phone is excellent.

Internet connectivity is very fast both with GPRS and wi-fi without a single drop in the entire week. I have downloaded many apps from the android market like documents reader, battery indicator etc and there is no impact on the performance of the phone what so ever.
Battery backup has been good so far giving me 3 days of backup with normal usage and about 2 days under heavy usage.
Camera quality is just ok. nothing great but still very usable. contrast and color reproduction is good.

What i like about this phone:
1. Excellent performance of the phone with no lag what so ever in opening any applications.
2. Excellent touch screen.
3. Its an android 2.1 v.
4. despite of small screen size and low on paper resolution, screen looks bright and vivid.
5. swype availability, though i am still new to this but i found it really helpful.
6. GPS is fast and accurate. My exact location was identified within 30 secs.

Things to improve:
1. camera quality could have been better.
2. I couldn't find any option under phonebook to delete multiple contacts togather.

3. There is no divx/xvid support out of the box. Please let me know if there is any free player available in the market which can play these files.
4. No document viewer/editor out of the box. but i have downloaded a document viewer from the market and its working very well. I am still looking for an application which allow me to edit these docs.
5. No multi touch support. But I have to say, I dont miss it much with other zooming option easily available.

Overall, i am very happy with this buy. Its a value for money smart phone with so many applications and features and excellent performance. Before buying it I mainly compared it with Monte and Galaxy3. Monte don't have qwerty keypad so that was a deal breaker and obviouly I prefered Android over Monte's samsung OS. For, galaxy3, i really don't like the looks with silverish color front which is very reflective. More over the screen display was not as vivid as galaxy 5. But otherwise galaxy 3 is also a good option if you like the looks of it.

Please suggest me some good free applications for editing word and excel files and also for playing divx and xvid codec videos.

this is not as good as galaxy 3.as this does not have a proximity sensor for motion games

• Hom

How to configure GPRS in Samsung i5500 Galaxy 5

i think it is the cheapest smartphone with ADROID!

• silvia

In this situation, i consider that people ask the best from Samsung, as they are used to received from Samsung the best deal whici is very good; but they should know that a handset whici cost 200 Euro have features for this kind of money!

• silvia

Personally, i think people here ask too much from this handset; let's don't forget that this smartphone is the very first smartphone from S class; Could be the nany for Galaxy S I9900, etc etc...it is just an entry level for smartphone and the users should be happy that Samsung thought that nobody knows everthing for the start and they consider this smartphone as a first stept into the smartphone world!

• Shawn

Prabhanjan, 03 Oct 2010Hey its not the problem of your phone, Android is designed in th... moreOh so its lyk dat only ryt?
1 more thing i hav to ask
While u r listening to music on a headset and if u pull out the headset, the music automatically pauses. Is it lyk dat only??

• Shawn

V, 03 Oct 2010Can we upgrade this to android v2.2(froyo).Confirmation about dat is not yet revealed.Anyways it will get Froyo only after the higher end models get.

• noraJ

i like this handset very much! I am 18 and i think it's perfect for me...no big fun of stuffy gadget; it is just perfect to me for an Android; it is flexible, you cand costumize with app. you like and you need; The long life battery is ok for me; the touchscreen, the meniu! It's just a basic smartphone which helps me much!

• V

Can we upgrade this to android v2.2(froyo).

how ti install games in it ... ?

• Prabhanjan

Shawn, 03 Oct 2010Hey!! I cant reduce the rigtone volume while the phone is ringin... moreHey its not the problem of your phone, Android is designed in that way, changing the volume while ringing is not the quality of a high end phone.....

• Prabhanjan

Samsung was using an operating system called "Bada" which was not popular at all, but this is an amazing phone to have android(which has around 1 lakh applications), Wifi, And 3G in it. The sound quality is not that bad but slightly lower than sony ericsson or nokia, however its worth the money. An equivalent to this phone in HTC is wildfire which would cost 16k and sony xperia which costs around 14.5k but this phone costs 9k and moreover its got capactive touch which gives a good feel of touch to the users.....

• Shawn

PraveenD, 03 Oct 2010Samsung Galaxy 5 is really a dream phone for me. Just look at it... moreHey Praveen!! It wud b nice if u had answered my question. Im frm India too :)

• PraveenD

Samsung Galaxy 5 is really a dream phone for me. Just look at it, its awesome, it has got looks, better that any phone, touchscreen is 2.8 inch capacitive, so never worry about its sensitivity or life and durability. Actually smaller screen are much easier to handle and take care. display is at its best in price range. Keys are nice. You are getting android smartphone with touchwiz 3.0, speed is fast and zippy performance never slow down you or your phone. Camera is mediocre, never mind. Phone is compact and gives you all you ever need in a smartphone. (3G, GPS, WiFi.......). Battery is above 'GOOD' battery standards. So if you need a perfect phone, compact phone, smartphone and best phone ever produced by samsung at extremely low prices, go for Samsung Galaxy 5.
Thanks for reading full review, don't think too much about it, go for it.

• Shawn

Hey!! I cant reduce the rigtone volume while the phone is ringing, with the volume key
The phone mutes directly wen i press the volume key.
How can i change this??
Anyone pls reply soon!!!!!!!