Tecno Phantom X2 review
- 256GB 8GB RAM ₹ 36,999
Since we recently reviewed the Phantom X2 Pro, we're going to assume that a larger portion of our readers is now familiar with Tecno as a brand. Still, we'll give you the cliff notes. Tecno is one of the brands under the hat of the Chinese tech giant Transsion. It gets used predominantly in overseas markets and, most prominently - Africa. If you've heard of Tecno, chances are it's for their popular Camon line - a line of value devices with a clear focus on the camera experience. However, there is also the Phantom line, which has more or less been spun up into its own separate entity. One that aims to deliver truly flagship devices and experiences.
Last year the original Phantom X was released, and now the Phantom X2 series is here. It consists of two devices - the Pro we already reviewed and the vanilla Phantom X2 model we have at the office today.Left: Phantom X2 Pro • Right: Phantom X2
The Phantom X2 family still takes after its predecessor in certain ways but is overall a venture into the truly premium flagship space for Tecno. Just like its Pro sibling, the Phantom X2 has an eye-catching premium design and flagship internals with the MediaTek Dimensity 9000 chipset, a curved AMOLED display and a large battery pack.
Tecno Phantom X2 specs at a glance:
- Body: 164.6x72.7x8.9mm, 203g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), aluminum frame, plastic back.
- Display: 6.80" AMOLED, 120Hz, 1080x2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 387ppi.
- Chipset: MediaTek Dimensity 9000 (4 nm): Octa-core (1x3.05 GHz Cortex-X2 & 3x2.85 GHz Cortex-A710 & 4x1.80 GHz Cortex-A510); Mali-G710 MC10.
- Memory: 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM; UFS 3.1.
- OS/Software: Android 12, HIOS 12.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 64 MP, PDAF, OIS; Ultra wide angle: 13 MP, f/2.2, 1/1.3", 1.12µm, AF; Depth: 2 MP.
- Front camera: 32 MP, (wide).
- Video capture: Rear camera: 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30fps; Front camera: 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 5160mAh; 45W wired, 54% in 20 min, 100% in 60 min (advertised).
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (under display, optical); NFC; FM radio, recording.
These highlights are shared between the vanilla and the Pro models. In fact, most things are. When crafting the lower-tier Phantom X2, Tecno decided to keep as much of its Pro sibling intact as possible. The two phones are nearly identical visually and in terms of specs. The vanilla is notably missing the retractable portrait telephoto camera of the Phantom X2 Pro.
Even so, the focus on photography is still clearly present on the regular Phantom X2. It has a large 64MP main camera, equipped with OIS, as well as an autofocus-enabled 13MP ultrawide and a large 32MP selfie cam.
Before we get into the camera differences or any of the other aspects of the Phantom X2, we should check out its retail box. Like its sibling, the vanilla model ships in a large and sturdy cardboard slide-out box.
The box is full of accessories, which is always great. In no particular order, besides the phone, inside the box, we also find a 45W charger and a Type-A to Type-C USB cable to go along with it. The cable appears to be standard without any extra pins or anything of the sort, so it could be easily replaced should the need arise. Also in the box is a pair of nice-looking earbuds with an in-line microphone.
Last but not least, Tecno also gives you a free hard case. It both looks and feels very good and is generally a notch above almost any other bundled case we are used to seeing. It even has an integrated kickstand as a bonus feature.
Overall, Tecno really went all-in on the retail package of the Phantom X2. It's hard to complain about all the extra goodies you get in the box.
- 29 Aug 2023
Very nice gudget to have
- 28 Aug 2023
Does the phantom X2 work in the continental USA and it's territories?
- Trevor King
- 22 Jul 2023
It's a powerful phone but the cameras are disappointing