Nokia N8

Nokia N8

• Carol

MdN, 20 Jul 2013I think you're doing just fine. :-) I had two Symbian phones bef... more:). Does not wipe Anna, it is just replacing it:) Symbian is symbian, at it's core Belle is the same with anna or PR1. In fact they are all symbian v^3, even the v^4 as it's called, is an v^3 with improved hardware for better belle supporting:). Still, after upgrading to belle, Anna users missed some things old Symbian had and belle does not. And i had this problem to, for about 3 weeks. Now i don't remember quite what those things were only if i take an Anna device in my hands:). If you used old Symbian v5 devices then you kind of know how anna feels like. Ok, Anna has multi-desktops and strange widgets but the rest of UI is almost the same with good old Symbian:).

Stupid me, 19 Jul 2013You're right! :-)This whole thing is new to me so I come regular... moreI think you're doing just fine. :-) I had two Symbian phones before this one and it still took me a while before I was confident with what I'm doing. So just have fun, experiment, take your time and remember where you were in case you need to go back and fix it. :-)
Well, for browsing, use Opera Mini, it's the best there is, fast, reliable, doesn't use a lot of data (compresses it on the server before delivering to your phone). Opera Mobile is slow as it loads full web pages but it can be useful sometimes.
Yeah, when I updated my Maps the first thing I did was to see if my house is still there. It is! :-) The rest can wait until I go somewhere or need to find some location. GPS should work well, if you go to Settings - Application Settings - Positioning you can check how you want to access your position. If it's just "Integrated GPS" then it might take a while to get the position but if you check the others too it can find it in half a minute (but use a little data).
I don't think that Belle Refresh wipes out Anna because the update is just 13MB big: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/15570_B­elle_Refresh_starts_to_roll_o.php and installing it shouldn't take more than a few minutes - well, just click on "SW Update" icon and see if it's available, you don't have to accept. But you should make a back-up (phonebook, images etc) via Nokia Suite just in case. I already got Belle when I bought my phone and I wish I knew what it was like before. :-)

• Carol

Stupid me, 19 Jul 2013You're right! :-)This whole thing is new to me so I come regular... moreHey, why would you delete opera:)? It is better in page rendering and so on. Anyway, now i understand why are you having this problems. While Anna is superb for most Symbian veterans, for the new into the system, is a bit confusing and not that user friendly. At least not at the beginning... You don't have to be afraid to update it cause you literally cannot brake the phone (only if you have a power loss at your pc). Even so, you can still revive it with phoenix:). If you need instructions, just say:)

• Stupid me

Carol, 19 Jul 2013You realy are new:))(joking:). This is the most user friendly UI... moreYou're right! :-)This whole thing is new to me so I come regularly on this site to ask for help and to learn from other peoples' problems (most of which are beyond me anyway). I made fun :-) of my last problem because I sorted it out! I would be so depressed if I hadn't! Truly, it's like putting a toddler to operate an electronic cash register! But it's fun!

I was horrified to read about Anna because that is what is on my phone. Having read so many positive comments about Belle, I want to install it but I'm afraid to attempt it so it will have to wait. When Belle is installed, does it wipe out Anna?

Also, I installed Opera yesterday, only to read your comment today. Well, I just deleted it. I also finally installed App stop (Re: MdN) and am VERY happy with it. Then I installed some maps (Re: MdN's post) and was delighted to find my house on it. I am dying to try the GPS. We don't really need it here though because the island is so small and the map won't be detailed anyway because we are so insignificant...but, just to try it!

• Carol

AnonD-7982, 18 Jul 2013hi guyz! Just want to ask something, im still using anna on my p... morethere is no problem with any of this apps. Never was. However, you can have some problems after updating if you are not doing the upgrade good. I would suggest you to install belle refresh, then factory resset, then reinstall. Should get read of all the problems some people occured at the beginning.

• Carol

Stupid me, 17 Jul 2013The icon was one of 12 in the main menu that comes up when you p... moreYou realy are new:))(joking:). This is the most user friendly UI from symbian. So, we should be glad you did not bought n8 with anna installed. I'm, preaty sure you would have abandoned the learning proccess:)). Anyhow, it is quite easy once you understand how it works. About the dissapearing icons... There are only 3 reasons this happens. You deleted the app. You have an system error and you need to delete and reinstall the app, or you moved it to another folder. That's about it. You will learn it:)

• Carol

moze, 17 Jul 2013pls help n8 has about 250 mb in C phone memory i used about 60 ... moreThere are 3 things that eat phone's memory. Apps, cache/temp and QT. The last one, you cannot get read off. Qt is growing bigger in time and with apps you install. There are so many qt branches that every qt app you install can add something to it's roots. So, if you did allot of nokia store qt apps installations, this is definetly one of the reason you cannot get read of but only by formatting. Second, opera. If you use opera and never cleaned it. This browser by default it's alowed to use more then 7 mb of space, quite allot for the small rom n8 has. Clear opera browser. Clear default browser cache. See if anything has improved. Also, see where your apps are installed. Maybe you have some that can be moved (reinstalled) in mass memory. Other solution is a app that cleans (sort off) the system. I don't remember the name, something like symbian cleaner or so. The last solution (and the bes for me) is to use x-plore for manualy cleaning the crapp. But if you don't know to much, don't use it, you can make you phone useless untill formatting.

• vishal

hai guys...is this a flip type mbl....???

Nokia updates the maps for its Symbian Maps Suite (July 2013)!
Just go to Maps - Map Loader and get the updates. Or you can do it through Nokia Suite.
More info and instructions here: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/flow/item/17961_N­okia_updates_the_maps_for_its.php

to put3ska....
I never used ANNA....
my N8 running on BELLE REFRESH....
there are no any probs with default music player and camera app..
but I'm using 'ttpod music player' for music & 'camera pro app.' for camera. this apps have more functions than default apps.....

• NOSCO HACKER

base on the restart issue;the nokia n8 has internal gps which is not compatible with the operating system:as a result hanging & restarting the phone.[all nokia belle],all u need to do is to;go to settings under application settings and click on possitioning under positioning method and sellect assisted gps and also sellect network base,then unmark the rest....thats all...enjoy

I upgraded to belle recently and I have no regrets, I just regret not having it done earlier

give us your solve of problem, share it

• sachin

my n8 is giving very low battery backup,specially while using internet and music player! What should i do???

• NOSCO HACKER.

Hi my fellow N8erz;'ve u ever experienced frequent reboot on ur N8?...i 've got the solution for it...comment if u need the trick for that.cheers.

hi guyz! Just want to ask something, im still using anna on my phone, im having 2nd thoughts upgrading to belle refresh coz the camera and music player might not be better than anna, so hows the camera and music player on belle? Pls give ur opinion guyz. Thanks!

Anonymous, 17 Jul 2013Pls how can I download good off-line dictionary like Collins tha... moreEnglish Dictionary (Offline)by: TechMobi available in Nokia Store

• Stupid me

MdN, 17 Jul 2013How can there be space? Are other apps around a blank space in t... moreThe icon was one of 12 in the main menu that comes up when you press the menu button on the bottom left corner of the phone. Well, it went from 12 to 11, leaving a space at the bottom rt hand corner. The icon at the corner moved up one space. So a wisdom tooth is now missing in that corner. Well, I found the delinquent icon after you said I should find it. It had walked across to the Apps menu so I promptly put it in the Xtras file where it should stay put! It made me waste so much time looking for "Root folder" that had come up as an option. Sigh! This is a real learning experience for me.

Stupid me, 17 Jul 2013Oh dear! Well it's gone somewhere. It was on the main menu and n... moreHow can there be space? Are other apps around a blank space in the menu? I don't get this. :-)))
Well it's user friendly to me because it can do the stuff I need, but if you're still new I suppose it can be confusing. Don't worry, you'll learn. ;-)

moze, 17 Jul 2013pls help n8 has about 250 mb in C phone memory i used about 60 ... more60 MB is good, if your phone isn't hacked and you have all the Microsoft stuff in it. A lot of people don't even have that much. But try to move all non-critical apps to Mass Memory (apps that you don't need running all the time, if you connect to PC in Mass Storage mode they stop running), clean your web browser cache, large emails, don't keep thousands of messages etc. If your phone is hacked there's a way to free some more memory. But you can't get much more than 100 MB without custom firmware, I think.