Nokia N8

Nokia N8

• ped

Dear Wheez you are a adorable man. I just want to thank you for this perfect answers and information you are giving us.

• Otto

Wheez, 03 Oct 20101. Extensive browsing : I use smartphone more then PC for routin... moreHi Wheez,

Could you test if the USB-OTG works with standard wired USB keyboard and mouse?

Thanks.

• TMT

if only there was a qwerty keyboard........ :(

it would have been a master piece and i would have have upgraded it from n97

btw i am a die hard nokia fan and all of my family members uses nokia :d

• Wheez

Manu, 03 Oct 2010If not all, then most of the phones have speakers on their back ... moreI don't know, but I would figure that like Opera Mobile 10 would keep the cache files somewhere else than C:/, cos it would be installed on the 16gb internal. If you want to, I can find out. It's better than the original browser in just about everything but it lacks pinch to zoom support.

when will GSMArena review it???????????
I want a review!!!!!

• Wheez

Anonymous, 03 Oct 2010Can we type as fast as iphone on virtual qwerty? Can i have c... moreI sadly have no decent camera available to me but the N8, and I'm sure you realize how hard it would be for me to use my N8 to photograph my N8.

Sorry, can't really help with that.

Can we type as fast as iphone on virtual qwerty?

Can i have close up photo of the back speaker?

Some closeup photo of the surface texture of anodized aluminium, pasticto and bottom ends?

• Wheez

Manu, 03 Oct 2010If not all, then most of the phones have speakers on their back ... more1. Extensive browsing : I use smartphone more then PC for routine internet usage. So practically speaking, I prefer browsing on iPhone coz all temp files, history, cache are stored in mammoth 32GB memory & I'm left with nothing to worry. Generally in Nokia devices, browsing history/Cache is stored in meagre internal memory instead of hard-disk. So can you plz enlighten me if N8 stores cache in userr internal memory or 16GB disk ?

Seems that cache files are sadly put on C:/ I first checked the C:/ free amount of memory, then emptied all cache stuff from the browser and the C:/ had gotten more free memory after that.

2. Lover of Portable gaming : I loved Nokia for N-Gage but all Nokia devices were marked by same problem I.e low RAM & low user internal memory. Have you checked whether game's directories are saving on user internal memory or 16GB drive !

All apps seem to go on the 16gb internal memory by default. At least all the stuff I've gotten so far.

3. How is Ovi Music application on N8. Is it crisp & promise on entertainment ?

Have no use or experience of it, so hard to say.

4. Virtual keypad : I'm typing this message on HTC Legend, so you can imagine, I love texting on my touchscreen smartphones. Hence I've reservations regarding performance of virtual keypad. I would be glad if you can share your first hand experience with its keypad.

I have very little experience with touch screen devices, so I can't really do comparisons about the touchpad, but I'm finding the landscape QWERTY very good. I love typing on it, even longer posts here at times.

• Peter

How good is the music quality on headphones? Below average or Above average?

• G0r1can

Hello people,

Does anyone know a good and reliable source form where i can buy N8 (ebay seller maybe?). Im from Slovenia, Europe.

Best regards,
G0r1can

About engadgets camera comparison:

• Manu

Wheez, 03 Oct 2010I got mine for 499 here from Finland. What I dislike about t... moreIf not all, then most of the phones have speakers on their back side. For instance, I'm using iPhone & HTC Legend. And latter's speakers are on its back. Also, I'm in habit of keeping my phone inverted on the surface I.e on screen. Infact, I see many people who are used to this activity. I also place my iPhone on its screen coz its back panel is prone to scratches far too easily.

About browser, as you know Nokia has already announced new browser for S^3 at NW'10. So not really a big issue.

Only problem I observe from your view is Ovi application is not running swiftly. I wanted Nokia to leave no room for lag/glitch in Oovi especially as it has been the loose end in both S60v3 & S60v5. I hope initial fw update can improve experience in this context.

I really appreciate that you've tried to answer every single query about N8 clearly & rationally based upon your experience so far.

My priorities for desired device are :
3. How is Ovi Music application on N8. Is it crisp & promise on entertainment ?

Thanking you in anticipation of response !!! :-)

- Aman Dutt

Wheez, 03 Oct 2010The retail OVI Maps (3.04) that was in my N8 doesnt, but the 3.0... moreThe 3.06 beta works smoothly on my current 5800 without any single issue. Its much better than any previous version. N8 should give same results, just my guess. You can try it. If you encounter any problem, you are free to switch back to 3.04 at any moment.

• Wheez

Anonymous, 03 Oct 2010hey, do the ovi maps support the pinch to zoom??The retail OVI Maps (3.04) that was in my N8 doesnt, but the 3.06 that is still in beta supports pinch to zoom. It has been said that the beta works wonderfully on the N8, but personally I don't wanna update till it's final.

Wheez, 03 Oct 2010Hmmh, that's quite a tough one. Well, I'd try to change the p... morehey, do the ovi maps support the pinch to zoom??

My friend in China got one and he is very happy by performance of phone. I have prebooked one for myself & i will be getting it on 17th Oct. Demand for this phone is very high. The Nokia exclusive shop where I booked my N8 have 450+ bookings already. Stock will arrive by 15th Oct.

• Wheez

Anonymous, 03 Oct 2010How do you change n8 if nokia ask you this question?Hmmh, that's quite a tough one.

Well, I'd try to change the place of the speaker to avoid the issue I described earlier.

I'd get the browser to have better control of multiple windows/tabs (has good control of em when you just manage to open them :D) but this is underway with the upcoming new browser.

Maybe an option to use QWERTY also in portraid mode, wouldn't use this myself, but I'm sure some would. This will probably get fixed when Swype comes, though.

To customize the way the power saving feature (which is frigging awesome!) works. Mainly I'd want to have the screensaver clock visible even when i have power saving on. This may be doable with some off the battery life-apps available, though. If I could have the screensaver clock, I would only use my N8 in power saving mode, it lasts like forever! :D

That's about it. I would definitely not change the OS. I don't personally like Android, but even if we put it into this, think about it: The 680 Mhz wouldn't be enough to run Android, cos Android can't use GPU to render the UI, so we would have to put in 1ghz processor, in which case we most likely can't fit (physically or battery lifes sake) the same good GPU it has now. We also probably just traded away over 50% of the phones battery life by changing into Android, in which case we also would need bigger casing to fit a bigger battery possibly too. The phone would become just a typical Android phone. Not to mention I have nothing to complain about Symbian^3. It's fast, it doesnt lag, it doesnt hang, it doesn't show any signs of crashing either till now, it supports a myriad of HW features, app store is still abit small, but I think that'll grow once the new Symbian^3 devices launch worldwide (currently OVI has over 2 million downloads daily, so not exactly small either).

I'm Lovin' It! :D

• Mango

NYN, 03 Oct 2010To teuu, You can definetly go for iphone 4 inwhich you can get a... moreThanks pal! :)

Wheez, 03 Oct 2010I'm finding it very good. I'm very satisfied with the purchase. ... moreHow do you change n8 if nokia ask you this question?

• Wheez

Anonymous, 03 Oct 2010hey you have got n8.Congratulations May u tell me the price of t... moreI got mine for 499 here from Finland.

What I dislike about this phone is that I can't really make up anything I dislike! But here's a few:

-The speaker is located abit badly, it's in the camera "bulge", meaning that if you put your phone on the table like you probably normally would, the sound quality takes a big hit if you have music coming from the speakers. If you want the best quality from the speakers you'd need to turn the touchscreen against the table and so that the camera points to the roof. But then changing songs etc is hard when u have to turn the phone around all the time. Not a big problem for me cos I never listen with speakers, but I bet some do.

The current original browser (new on the way) doesnt have a convenient way to open a new window/tab, but it does support em.

The OVI application and the photo/video-editors don't run anywhere near as well as the rest of the phone. It's not too bad, apart from that OVI has worked wonderfully for me (fastly downloaded, fastly installed) and the editors get the basic job done as well although their UIs don't work that fast.

That's about it, I'm just about loving everything else about this phone.