Nokia N8

Nokia N8

• mustapha

pls what is the use of the HDMI on top of the n8 between the switch and the handsfree?

I didn't know people still were commenting on the N8 but since I'm here, I'd like to throw in my 2 bits.

I've owned my N8 for a little over 2 years and I can't find myself replacing it with any other phone at the moment.

I'll say little about the camera since it's a given that the N8 is the second best camera phone in the world.

One thing that is a MAJOR suck about this phone is the lack of apps. I don't care what anyone says about the top XX% apps available on Symbian, it's just a plain sad fact that the apps MOST people want AREN'T on Symbian. I wanted and also needed some apps so I bought a Samsung Exhibit 2 Android phone to try it out since it was relatively inexpensive and had decent specs for the price. All I can say is that I hate it. It gets super laggy when the RAM gets full, which happens often. This also affects the phone calls because when the RAM is full, the Answer and Speaker Phone button become unresponsive.

I don't know why people give Symbian such crap since it has true multi-tasking. Not this fake crap that Android, iPhone and WP8 have. In addition to the multi-tasking, Symbian has a true file manager that lets you move your files around at will within the phone's browser or hooked up to a computer. Symbian is quite laggy on the N8 and the apps take a while to launch as opposed to Android which launches it's apps very quickly but I wish Nokia had stuck with Symbian since it would run really fast on today's Dual and Quad core CPUs.

I also love the design of the N8. It still looks and feels sleek in my hands after all these years. The anodized aluminum body has held up really well for me and I like the added touch of having an LED ring around the Home button that acts as a notification light to let me know if I have missed a call or a message.

Since I can't let go of my N8 but still would like to have apps, I carry around a Samsung 7 inch tablet with me. I downloaded an app for the tablet that enables Bluetooth Dial-up Networking to share my phone's internet connection which the N8 handles very well. I do have the paid Joikuspot app for my N8 for Wifi hotspots but the Android tablets can't pickup the Ad-hoc signal that the N8 uses so that's why I have to use the Bluetooth DUN app.

We'll see how long I could go with this setup since carrying 2 devices sucks sometimes. I don't want a WP8 device yet since the apps just aren't there yet and I keep eying the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 because it has the best of both worlds of being a small usable tablet and being a phone.

But if anything, I'm rooting for Blackberry with their new BB10 OS. I feel it's the closest thing to Symbian with it's true multi-tasking and I feel a phone manufacturer should make their own OS.

• Prit

Super phone

• Prit

My Nokia n8 phone is super to use internet.
And best to listen music

one of the best phone from nokia still rocking

• d

i have grown tired of my n8. It is not fun as it used to be

• Carol

sanbin24, 14 Nov 2012hey Carol..?? Did u get nokia 808 PV.. How's it different from... moreHallo Sabin24...?? :) no, i haven't got an 808 by now. Will be my next phone though:).
Let's go for the questions...
1. camera interface in 808 is better then the n8's as for the shutter speed. I don't know the answer, never compared them. But 808 camera is better then n8 in every way.
2. battery i don't know... sorry. N8 has a good battery, i don't think 808 is behind or far behind.
3. 808 interface is faster, and the fp2 is quite nice:)
4. Browser is faster to.

So, at the end: n8 has better design (for me) also is enough for any smartphone user, camera is superb and i still don't see why others are saying that iphone's 8 mp camera is better. For an amateur it may be, cause iphone camera is tuned in a very fake way to appear sharper and vivid, i don't need this cause i can do this manually quite easy, so i like customizable interface and not a "force to use this settings" one. N8 is still the second best camera phone. Symbian belle is super snappier, but 808 does better. Overall, if you have the money and you like 808 design, definitely go for it. it's camera is better (also i like big shots, cause i can do allot of editing and cropping). I don't say n8 is not good, i would not trade this peace of art for nothing but only for 808. That's it:). Now is your choice, not mine..at the end.

• sanbin24

Did u get nokia 808 PV..
How's it different from n8..in terms of
1. Speed (camera interface, shutter speed.)
2. Battery
3. total UI
4. Browser
Coz in India N8 costs Rs. 18900
And 808 costs Rs. 24999.
Which should i prefer..??

• asdfsdg

a very very good camera phone for casual use... jst love it

• gpl

Can we convert apk file to jar file and then install on n8

• malathy

as far as used ,,,n8 seeems to be far better than anything elsee ...itz worth itz money,,hope ppl try it!!!!!!

• VIC

Carol, 12 Nov 2012Ok, if they said so, it is clearly that there is no way you can ... moreMoral of the story, don't use your N8 as wifi hotspot much. It's got a weak WLAN chip and irrepleceable. I was told Nokia Care might replace the whole motherboard. Gotta go to some other mobile repair centers coz it might be cheaper.
Hopefully this thing won't happen to my brand new 808. I hate N8s now.

• nzp

Veda, 10 Nov 2012I uses only Nokia phones and N8 is the best one ever made and i ... moreyou are right, i was dissapointed with the new smartphone from nokia. IMO the n8 is the best from nokia. the latest lumia series has dumb-down bluetooth features which i frequently use for bluetooth tethering, and sending stuff to and from computer.the current reason im clinging to nokia now is just because of nokia maps. if my nokia breaks down, im just going to buy another n8.

• Carol

VIC, 12 Nov 2012I have been to mobile technicians and straight-up they told me t... moreOk, if they said so, it is clearly that there is no way you can fix that. Only a motherboard change would bring your wifi alive. Yes, maybe got bricked cause was old and highly used. But, that doesn't mean you will face this problem again:). This is the technology, some last longer then you espect, some last less then you espect. Some just don't wanna die so you can have a reason to buy a new one:)). Yes the 808 is a great phone, but, at the moment, my n8 is a great phone to:D. Right now all i can afford is to look at that baby. I have other priorities. But, maybe i would get it on contract, still thinkin of: would it worth to change my beloved n8 or not?! I don't need games, i have like two installed and rearely played. I have also all angry birds and avatar and asphalt and nfs and real football and so many others. More then 10 minutes never played them. So, the lack of 3000000 apps is not a problem for me. I need a good smartpjone mot a toy:). I'm always at the pc, what to do with an 12 hours battery android? No camera no nothing smart for me:). Ok, sory for your n8 and long last your 808. Aleays give feedback about battery and others so people ro kmow that itls a buy or not:)

sam, 09 Nov 2012how to install Skype for n8???You can get skype from ovi store...but you can't make a video call...

• VIC

Carol, 11 Nov 2012So, i don't know if i'm right but i found some things after some... moreI have been to mobile technicians and straight-up they told me they couldn't fix my phone once I told them my wifi resarts problem. So, I guess I gotta go to Nokia Care somehow.
But based on my own analysis and your tons of help, I have concluded that there is a single WLAN chip that handles wifi on all N8s. Coz my Bluetooth and FM radio and transmitter still works. So, what messed my WLAN, then? Finally, I've got concrete theories now. First and foremost, I have been using my N8 as a wifi hotspot almost all the time as I got unlimited data so my N8 became like a wifi router for my laptop and other mobile devices in the house. That could've burned the single WLAN chip that handles nothing but wifi. Secondly, my N8's two years old already, so something had to break down. Unfortuntely, it's the WLAN chip. Again, could be because of being overused as a wifi hotspot.
Hopefully, my theory isn't correct and that the WLAN chip maybe just loosened up inside from tons of falls my N8 suffered. But again, my WLAN restarts problem started while I was using it as a wifi hotspot and not from a simle drop of the phone.
My niece wouldn't mind for now if the phone has no wifi. She's enjoying it for all the games I installed on it.
I've got arguably the best phone right now in the 808. It's basically an N8 with twice the specs. I have been taking care of it like a new born baby. No more CFWs, not using it as wifi hotspot anymore, and I'm sure I wouldn't drop it anytime soon. You wouldn't do that on a new born baby, would you?
Get an 808 now, Carol. Ok, it's the best phone out there now. One caveat, it lacks the high-end games the dual and quad cores has. The 808 is the most complete phone you can buy.

affordable

amazing phone i m using it. No defect no problems at all wit me. I realy enjoy when i conect wit pc via ovi suite. My great timepass phone realy. It plays any videos upto 720p but some higher resolution videos it only plays music. Nfs game of this mobile is so awesome i never feel boared because my mobile always keeps me entertaining :) and the most favourite feature which i like is the photo/video editing and the usb port feature i plug play pen drives anytime and explore watch muvis etc.. And the phone features like a mini adobe photoshop damn i like it very much. Its truly a multimedia phone no doubt. While i see here people discussing about camera, applications, software format, firmware update, bla blah bla.. To be frank i want to tell u dat when i bought my phone it was belle and later i hav updated to belle refresh. Believe me till now i hav instaled only opera mini, uc browser, nimbuz, assasins creed, asphalt 6 and ebuddy on my phone as i told u it keeps me entertaining whole day and is around 1 yr old. My phone is the best. Uuf my n8, i and my pc are in love wit each other..hihi

• zenon